Friday, April 4, 2014

Meeting Minds Soxfully

I dread Thursdays because they always start with an early morning meeting with the political leadership and the planners.  Yesterday was exacerbated by the absence of my excellent boss who usually provides great theater sparring with the politicos. I am typically allowed to sit back and only interject when my boss needs specific information.  Yesterday I bore the full brunt of injecting reality into the lives of planners and politicians; a task fraught with danger.  They took my less than sympathetic thoughts fairly well.
I got back to my office only to be pulled into a 30% design meeting on the new facility we are building.  The politicians have been in charge so far so when we finally saw the plans there was some serious head scratching going on.  I had to leave this meeting because I was chairing yet another meeting with the union leadership on the other side of the building.  Those of you who’ve read the blog in the past know how much I love meetings so yesterday was about as much fun as low crawling through a swarm of pissed off fire ants (not fun – trust me on that).
Luckily after a work day where my morale was severely compromised I was lucky enough to return home to my favorite Panamanian.  She’s emerged from her cleaning frenzy intact and was re-connecting with friends via telephone most of the evening.  I donned the head phones and spent the night switching between the Red Sox and Bruins games which brought its own salve to my battered morale. 
The Red Sox won again in Baltimore against a team that’s kind of had their number over the past few years.  The pitching was solid again and they received notable contributions from their young players which was very encouraging.  Even Mr. Bradley, who’s had a rough week thus far, made several key plays which speaks volumes about his strength of character.  They return home today and get their world series rings – so, exceedingly cool.
One of the guys I work with also scored some July tickets to a Red Sox game in Fenway with amazing seat locations.  I’ve sworn I wouldn’t return to Fenway until the seats were more friendly for middle aged knees but these are too special to pass up.  I will have to break the news to the baseball crazy wife that there isn’t a ticket for her so I’ll probably be going to a second game as well.
The last of the snow in the front yard finally melted yesterday so the day ended well.  The most encouraging aspect to oncoming spring (I can now acknowledge that as a real possibility) is not only is there sunlight for both the drive into and back from work, but the sun is starting to peek over the horizon when I get up in the morning.  After six months of early morning operations in the dark this is so welcome.

Even more welcome – it is officially the first Friday of the week – a momentous occasion that deserves to be marked with appropriate celebratory activities.  I think Brew City followed by Zorba’s might be an appropriate gesture this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment