Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sci Fi and Housecleaning Battles

A number of battles were fought on a variety of levels yesterday.  I had to fight my way into work through some pretty hefty ice which approached adventure status.  Over the day my front lawn lost the battle to remove all vestiges of snow as another full inch was deposited on top of the emerging crocusii and my wife lost a battle with sanity due to an impending house inspection.
I’ve mentioned before that my wife maintains a spotless house, at times almost maniacally.  We have a realtor coming by tomorrow to assess the house in case we follow through with our plan to put it on the market later this year.  This sent her through the roof in terms of preparing the house to actually be assessed by an outside source.  I came home to find her in the middle of completely rearranging bedrooms, filling huge bags of clothes and linen for donation, a couple thousand other details.  She was also sharpening her wit for the obligatory lecture on my inability to maintain appropriate levels of cleanliness.  Luckily I’m fairly handy when it comes to moving large objects.

I must be a lot more charming than I appear because at times I think she believes I deserve to be placed in a shallow grave for excessive untidiness.  If I ever disappear the police should first check the cleanliness of the house for motive. I am saying all of this with my tongue firmly in cheek and with distinct admiration for the drive she has to maintain the highest standards.

I finished off my latest Christopher Nuttall military science fiction book, To the Shores, book six in the Empire series.  Nuttall returns to the characters from the original couple of books and moves them a few years down the road where they’re trying to sort out the remains of a galactic empire with other successor states.  The ex-imperial marines end up on a remote planet for a peace conference that is then attacked by xenophobic locals.

Nuttall is at his best in describing close combat and this book is almost entirely composed of battles as a relief force has to fight its way across a continent to relieve the besieged peace conference.  As always, Nuttall illustrates some serious issues he has with current Earth cultures.  This time it’s the caste system of India which is used as the model for the xenophobic planet and he is merciless in his condemnation.  He also uses the intro to each chapter to comment on the events leading up to both World War 2 and the Gulf War.  It was interesting, as an American (sometimes too much so – according to some) to get a Eurocentric view of each. I’m painfully coming nearer to the end of Nuttall’s empire series – I’m really going to miss it.  This may be the best of the lot thus far.
Welcome Back Boys!!!
Finally my beloved Red Sox returned to action yesterday and lost their opener in Baltimore 2-1.  Since they won the title last year I'm officially prohibited from complaining about them on any level for at least a couple years.  I bet Farrell wishes he had Napoli instead of a failed rookie up for final at bat where he struck out on a pitch right down the middle, a bit of over-managing that cost him yesterday.  I AM NOT COMPLAINING.
Right Down the Middle!
Still Love you Johnny!

No comments:

Post a Comment