Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Husky Document Search

Yesterday was kind of a strange day and given that it was a Monday, strange was more than okay.  The Red Sox finally decided they were not going winless at Fenway this year and their semi-discarded wunderkind Bradley was the only one showing signs of life.  I’m getting the definite feeling that signing Ortiz to the extension was a huge mistake because he certainly looks to be coasting (but I am not complaining).
I returned home last night to an empty house since my wife had a girl’s night out dinner with a couple members of the Panamanian mafia.  She returned home in time to offer her cogent input on both the Red Sox and the NCAA championship basketball games. 
The only problem with the cogency of her commentary was the close range it was offered from.  Anyone who’s ever hung out with Panamanian women will tell you that whoever is speaking the loudest is the one who gets to talk.  Just returning from her dinner which I’m sure involved the default verbal gymnastics my wife forgot to adjust her internal volume control back to gringo level.  Since we were sitting hip to hip in Couch Potato positions 1 and 2 I was forced to finally ask her to stop shouting.  She gave me one of those, “you just opened a whole can of whoopass” looks that I know so well.  I escaped with minor injuries. 
Plowing Through the Archives
My son came back up on the net to ask if I remembered the dates he was baptized, received first communion, and confirmed.  I kind of remembered the year and location but that was it.  Since he’s getting married in a catholic church the priest wants documented evidence he’s not a poser.  I starting digging through the family archives during the Sox game and actually found all three documents which was kind of startling.  He’s a typical Army brat - baptized back in my home town, received his first communion in Kansas and confirmed in Pennsylvania
Success!!
I really enjoyed watching the NCAA championship game with the wife.  I refuse to watch the NBA anymore because of its evolution into a glorified game of ten heavily tattooed thugs playing one on one.  The college game is still fun, team oriented with players still caring before their inevitable moral pollution by exposure to the NBA “culture”.  Speaking of moral pollution it was cool to see Kentucky’s coach Calipari dealt a tough loss by a less talented but better coached UCONN team. 
I finished my latest dead sprint through a Brad Thor book yesterday when I with The Apostle.  This was another Scot Horvath adventure but was kind of a departure in that he no longer worked officially for the government and wasn’t racing to save Western Civilization.  This was a straight forward rescue mission when he’s contracted by the new president’s financial backer to travel to Afghanistan to rescue her kidnapped daughter.

I liked this more modest goal for the super agent and it allowed a more personal look at his interactions with fellow operators.  This is not to say the body count was any less as the old adage that no one should mess with a Spectre gunship was definitively demonstrated.  I remember working with one of those aircraft back in Panama when I was a lieutenant and clearly remember thinking I would not want one of them pissed off at me.  I can only speculate what they do with today’s technology and it was certainly the star of the last 50 pages of The Apostle.  I keep a list of Thor’s books on my desk and am starting to worry that I only have five left.  Thankfully Vince Flynn has arrived to plug the hole when I finish those five, but who comes after that?  I’d welcome suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment