Friday, March 21, 2014

Speedful Things

We’ve had a major crisis going on in our kitchen for a couple months now.  I’ve been powerless to stop the recriminations and heartfelt sense of impending doom accompanied by the failure of the light panel over our stove.  When the lights failed I dutifully bought replacement light bulbs which did not ignite when required.  That led to a visit by my buddies from Sears (ruh roh!) since the light panel was part of a Kenmore microwave.  He located the problem and said for a mere $257 we could have the light functional again.

I asked, with no small amount of trepidation (knowing the answer), if it was that important to my wife.  She said she really needed the light.  The technician, to his immense credit (Sears may be growing on me again) said we would be better off just buying some battery powered lights for the area.  You ever get that blinding flash when someone says something and you realize you’re a complete idiot for not thinking of it yourself – bingo.  So for $14 we now have mobile LED lights illuminating the cooking area and the wife is pleased (almost as much as I am).
The New Lights
Since I was on a roll I instituted a second date night for the week and saw a movie which was the polar opposite of Son of God in terms of social relevance – Need for Speed.  In this we learn where Jesse (Aaron Paul) from Breaking Bad ended up after riding off into the night as Heisenberg plied his version of the final solution.  Paul plays a mechanic in Mt Kisco, New York (didn’t see that coming) who’s also a bad ass street car racer.  This movie has absolutely no socially redeeming value but it’s a hell of a lot of fun as the cars careen across the United States.  There’s kind of a plot but that’s just needed to set up the next car chase and death defying stunt.  Paul was head and shoulders above the rest of the cast in terms of acting ability and is much better than this kind of stuff.  This was the purest form of escapism but every now and then that’s not a bad thing.  I had to seriously fight down the urge to do some careening myself as we drove out of the parking lot.

Speaking of careening, I just finished dashing through my latest Scot Horvath book with Brad Thor’s The Last Patriot.  I mentioned last time that Thor seemed to get better with each book and that trend continues as Horvath is rapidly approaching Reacher status in my pantheon of literary heroes.  I literally could not put this book down as Thor expertly weaves another great adventure for his hero.  Horvath just happens to be sitting in a Paris cafe where he thwarts a terrorist bomb which leads him down a rabbit hole of international intrigue involving the Prophet Mohammed, Thomas Jefferson, the Barbary pirates, and the president of the USA.  It’s hard to describe without giving too much away but I’m firmly on the hook to complete my journey through Thor’s books.  It’s just so frustrating as I read them so quickly that I’m starting to worry about reaching the point I finish all that are available.  He’ll them join the queue with DeMille, Child, Ringo, Kratman, and Sanford; authors whom I wait with baited breath to issue a new book.

No comments:

Post a Comment