Saturday, March 22, 2014

Feeding Frenzy

Yesterday was my weekly keto holiday where I can eat anything I want; except for dead animal flesh (Friday!) as I’m trapped in Lent with a very Catholic wife.  I resembled nothing more than a shark circling the various offices trying to find any of the donuts, cakes, or candies I spied all week.  It got a little desperate as the rich bounty had been thoroughly pillaged by my non-keto encumbered co-workers.  I contented myself with a couple of those hideous Hostess cupcakes (well maybe not so hideous yesterday).

Since it was Friday and Lent has nothing against beer, my excellent boss and I conducted our weekly after-action review in the friendly confines of Brew City.  A new waitress was being trained in our idiosyncrasies by our regular one which led to some pretty funny moments and a large tip.  Again, it was Friday so the wife and I descended on Zorba’s for a Lenten induced pepperoni-less pizza which was still awesome, mostly due to the company I was keeping.
The Pizza and Awesome Company
While we were at Zorba’s my wife asked me what I thought of the 5th grade picture a friend posted on Facebook.  I hadn’t seen it yet but checked it out this morning which brought back a lot of good memories.  The photo has the cantankerous one hovering over my left shoulder, so not a lot has changed in nearly a half century which is a good thing.  Was it really that long ago? I saw several of these classmates at the reunion last September – good memories.
My 5th Grade Picture
I'm Second From Right in Third Row
While the Cantankerous One is on the Far Right in the Top Row
In a Completely Dashing Striped Shirt
I had a good moment at work this week that I forgot to mention.  I’m chairing a joint union-management committee to improve communication and this week’s subject was proposed social activities.  I expected cookouts, trips, and parties to be proposed and while we got all of that the suggestion that brought almost immediate consensus from everybody was charity work.  They wanted to do something as a team to give back to the community. I was a little shocked to have these grizzled union workers demonstrate that the spirit of giving back isn’t necessarily (and all too rarely) clothed in a three piece suit.  I was proud to be associated with these guys.
Goodbye, Good Riddance
Maybe We Can Bury Our Heroes in Peace Now
The gene pool got a little deeper this week now that Fred Phelps, of Westwood Baptist fame, has departed the realm.  A real downside of the information age is that this buffoon and his misguided followers were allowed any kind of notoriety.  The world feels a little cleaner now.


Another friend sent me some more Obama-Putin stuff which I couldn’t resist as Crimea officially becomes part of Russia despite the thunderous gnashing of teeth from the West.




No comments:

Post a Comment