Saturday, March 1, 2014

Sir Walter White and the Russians March

Netflix finally figured out how to get the final episodes of Breaking Bad on their streaming site and I maniacally devoured them concluding last night with the series finale.  My daughter put me on to this series which I’d heard about but avoided since I didn’t want to root for a drug dealer.  It sucked me in.  Mr. White I genuflect in your general direction.  Bryan Cranston created the most compelling anti-hero in television history as the cancer stricken but driven chemistry teacher who becomes a drug kingpin.
I loved the way they brought the series home as White returns to Albuquerque as an avenging force laying waste to all who did him wrong and trying to repair some of the wreckage strewn in his wake.  He admits to his wife that he did it really for himself - to feel alive while cancer was consuming his body.  Both he and his erstwhile partner Jesse pay the price for their crimes but exact payment in full from those who had more base motivations.  It ended the only way it could.  This was like a really good book that you didn't want to end but you had to get there to find out what happened to a fascinating collection of characters.

Yesterday was a quiet day at work followed by the obligatory celebrating of the First Friday of the week at Brew City and then Zorba’s pizza (consistency in my routines if nothing else).  I was not the only one eating pizza as my wife sent me pictures of a sibling raid of her own at the local Panamanian pizza joint.  She started asking troubling questions about the state of cleanliness of the house and the weather.  I tried to deflect questioning in both areas figuring she wouldn't like completely honest answers.  She eventually learned the truth and is not happy in either area.  I've got four full days to rectify that which I can control.
My Sisters and Brother in Law in Action Last Night
Obama’s inept foreign policy is reaching a new nadir in the Ukraine.  Those mysterious well equipped armed men seizing Crimean airports and government buildings were Russian troops (huge surprise!).  Overnight the secured airports were used to phase in follow on forces numbering in the thousands who now control a large swath of Ukrainian territory.
Russian Forces in Ukraine Yesterday
Obama’s secretary of state responded to these events by stating that he’s been assured that Russia would not intervene with its military.  President Barack Obama warned Moscow on Friday "there will be costs" if Russia intervenes militarily.  Mr. President, that’s already happening – and you knew when you made this statement.  If I can figure this out from a desktop in Massachusetts I know you have even more detailed information.  Wake up, stop lying to us/the world and dancing on Mr. Putin’s strings.  It's time for some leadership.  

No comments:

Post a Comment