Sunday, March 16, 2014

Portsmouth Perfection

Yesterday saw a truly epic thunder run up to Portsmouth, New Hampshire which meant a whole day with both of our kids and their significant others.  This was a perfect way to welcome my wife home from her tropical sojourn; well beyond my meager solo abilities.  I could tell how happy she was to be surrounded by these remarkable young people.  She even gushed that she felt like a mother again.
On The Prowl

Brick Oven Pizza to Start Out
After the typical herding cats drill of getting everyone into the car the trip up to Portsmouth was uneventful except fighting through the typical mid-March tourist throngs (none) on the road.  We were blessed with a fantastic day and after a short interlude at my son’s apartment we descended on downtown Portsmouth for the afternoon.
First Victim
We had brick oven pizza in a cool underground bar just a few yards from where my son and the MEF met, so lots of good karma.  Then in a move straight out of my playbook the ladies decided they were going shopping and the guys were released on our own recognizance.  My son thought a reconnaissance was in order for the planned late May Portsmouth pub crawl when his wedding party is fitted for tuxes.  The apple did not fall far from the tree.
Daughter and MEF Shopping
Inside the Coat
We started out at a British Pub called the Coat of Arms (or the “Coat” for locals).  It was fairly quiet inside but offered a great opportunity to catch up with the son and son in law.  They are both something of beer aficionados and were soon deep in conversation about yeast strains and identifying what was added to the hops on a certain beer.  I’ve never invested interest beyond consuming beer but it was a lot of fun listening to two experts go at it.  I boldly decided to forgo my usual Coors Light and settled for a couple of Harp Ales while my compatriots went even more exotic.
British Beer Company - Lion in the Background
We then walked across the street to the British Beer Company which had a huge lion poised over the bar.  I was checking out the beer list and discovered something I just had to have – Monty Python’s Holy Grail Ale.  My compadres were a little awed by my departure from my usual comfort zone but after conferring with each decided I would like it.  It was the best beer I had all day.
Yes!
We were on our way to the final bar of the day when we finally heard from the ladies.  We stated we were just starting a beer (technically we were still about 175 yards short of that – but a small exaggeration).  They were safely ensconced in a wine bar (yechh) so we bluffed our way to the final bar – Earth Eagle Brewings. 
Last Bar/Garage

It Really was a Garage
This was literally a garage.  Some enterprising beer lovers built a bar in a garage and if the door was closed you’d never know it was even there.  Apparently this was well known to the denizens of Portsmouth, luckily 1/3 of our complement.  He and the son in law were soon deep in discussion about the variety of micro brews available and I think we had the most fun in this small, but extremely cool space.
Reunited at the Wine Bar

My Son Looking In
We eventually succumbed to reality and a dinner reservation time and made our way to the wine bar where the ladies seemed at no loss entertaining themselves in our absence.  The shopping had been productive and I was shortly in charge of several bags for on onward journey.
At the Library
The son and MEF wanted to take us to the Library Restaurant which I’ve written about before.  This is probably the finest steakhouse in Portsmouth and is set in a wood paneled old library surrounded by books – my daughter was in seventh heaven.  As with the entire day the fantastic dinner went by entirely too fast although I did score my first Coors of the day (returning to form).  I paused to look around a couple times and everyone had the same contented smile that can only spring from the genuine contentment of being around people you truly love.


Who's a Lucky Guy!?
As I said the day went by entirely too fast but it will be one that I will treasure.  This is the kind of day you only hope for and the vagaries of life often prevent.  Invaluable.  For some reason my wife insisted on driving home from Portsmouth which was probably a good thing since I missed large portions of the ride and the sun is a little too bright this morning.  Totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment