Thursday, March 6, 2014

Frigidly Warm Return

32 Years Ago Today
So I finally recovered the other half of my life yesterday with my wife’s return from Panama.  It’s incredible that after 32 years of marriage (as of today!) she still retains the ability to start my heart beating a little faster.  I saw her emerge from the gate and suddenly everything seemed brighter.

My first act was to seize all of her credit cards so she couldn’t immediately book a return flight back to warmer climes.  It was so cold yesterday, one of those wet penetrating colds that seeps into your bones and completely inappropriate for March.  I showed up with some roses and as much warm clothing as I could carry.  She handled it like a trooper and was soon happily reconnecting with progeny and friends on the telephone. 
My Wife Braving Her Way into the Restaurant
I was busily engaged with trying to escape and evade from Boston at the height of the rush hour.  Our sainted president added to the traffic by visiting one of the few places he’s still welcome, the People’s Republic of Massachusetts.  I know I risk bringing the wrath of the Cantankerous One down upon me for complaining about Obama adding to my traffic woes but I like to live on the edge. It was kind of surreal to see one whole side of the Mass Pike completely devoid of cars awaiting his passage.
She Never Stopped Smiling Though
Shortly after escaping from Boston we entered a fairly vigorous snow storm which completed Mother Nature’s welcome home for the wife and let her know what she’s been missing out on.  We went out to dinner and started the catching up process on family events down in Panama.
Buddy was beside himself with joy when he realized his savior from day long sojourns in the cage had returned.  Being summarily ordered off the couch is a small price to pay for the additional freedom.  I had two dozen additional roses waiting for as she quickly assessed the cleanliness of the house.  I actually did a lot better than usual but I think the roses may have bent the grading curve a little.

Well, Maybe a Little
It was even colder this morning but I felt a whole lot warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment