Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Science Fiction With a Touch of the Word

I’ve been a little overcome with my addiction to science fiction over the past week or so.  My son loaned me his audio book of Starship Troopers (which I gave him for Christmas).  Audio books were a staple of my Army career as we made constant transcontinental drives with my wife and the kids usually sound asleep.  I’ve was amazed at the ability of an audio book to kill the monotony and miles.  I listened to the book during my daily commutes over the past week and it performed it’s remembered magic of killing the time and had me hovering in the garage for a while waiting for a chapter to end on more than a couple occasions.
The book itself was one of the seminal works of my youth and it hasn’t lost any of its potency over the years.  The movie (my son’s favorite) didn’t capture the soul of Heinlein’s work which is sad because this really is one of the best hard science fiction books ever written.  I happily reunited with Sergeant Zim and Lieutenant Radcheck and was struck by how important this book was to my own attitude towards military service and officership.  A very nice stroll down memory lane.
As for actual reading I finished off my latest Christopher Nuttall science fiction opus, The Outcast.  I’m really taking to Nuttall as an author and this latest book was set once again in the ruins of his future galactic empire but with a completely new set of characters.  The hero of this book is not only female but a product of a strict Islamic world who escapes and becomes a starship captain and regional power as a trader.  The book has some really hard truths exposed about the hypocrisy of hard-line Islam (not as hard as Brad Thor which I’m reading now but close) which was interesting and Nuttall always keeps the action moving at breakneck pace.  I missed having the marines around in this one but that didn’t keep the carnage or battles down, at all; another very good read.

I took one for the team (marital) and my own immortal soul last night on date night by seeing, Son of God.  I came away impressed with how well this movie conveys the compelling lesson of the life of Jesus Christ.  Movies are a great way to get a message out but most biblical efforts try too hard to be dramatic or entertaining.  The life of Jesus was and is one of the greatest stories ever told and doesn’t need a lot of embellishment.  Caiaphas and Pilate don’t do well here but accurately so without demonization a la Mel Gibson’s Passion. The movie is long but the truths are timeless.  The simple but earth shaking days of the Nazarene Carpenter have so many important lessons for any truly complete life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment