Monday, March 24, 2014

Granite State Madness

We had so much fun in New Hampshire on Saturday that we returned to the Granite State on Sunday for the long awaited day of hangs with the Keene Friend back in my hometown.  An earlier visit was canceled when I poisoned myself with dental hygiene equipment but that’s another story.  He finally had another day off and we descended on him in force along with the Wonder Pooch.

After a quick lunch and checking out some Keene homes for sale, we stopped in to visit my second mom who broke her hip back in October.  She’s still a very spry 91 years old and back home complaining about her kids moving the things around in her cupboards while she was in rehab.  I hope I’m half as feisty or just still around when I reach her age.
Keene Friend at Scores
My wife ejected the Keene Friend and I in the center of Keene and told us to amuse ourselves while she addressed the TJ Maxx gift cards that were burning serious holes in her pocketbook.  While feeling devastated about being excluded from shopping we made our way to Scores Sports Bar which had a couple thousand televisions going.  We watched the Sox in spring training, March Madness (male and female), soccer, D League NBA, motorcycle racing, and bull riding to mention a few. 
The Bud Light Gals in Front of My Friend's Future Car
Okay, Maybe 13 years Old
We were happily ensconced discussing the vagaries of life and employment basking in every sport currently being contested around the world when two beautiful young ladies arrived garbed in Bud Light apparel.  It’s a comment as to my advancing age that they both looked to be 12 years old despite t-shirts that gave lie to that assessment.  So we were shortly drinking Bud Light (a certain cousin of mine will approve of that) instead of Coors and I even won a t-shirt when I stood a bunch of small plastic champagne glasses more steadily than the Keene Friend.
Keene Friend in the 3-Point Competition
My Keene Friend became the star of the day though when he stunned the much younger crowd by winning the three point shot contest held outside in a blustery wintry courtyard.  The girls stayed inside (well so did I – it was freezing) but he calmly sank five out of ten shots to win the contest.  Several young guys were watching from inside and saw their own hopes dashed as my friend calmly drilled his way to the top of the heap; they were not pleased.  In a couple weeks he can win a Cadillac if he makes two out of three shots described as half-court in length.    
One of His Winning Shots
After reporting his triumph to all corners of the globe as well as Pennsylvania via text we adjourned across the street and placed ourselves under the care of the husky voiced waitress of Margarita’s to await my wife’s inevitable return.  Upon her return she did not seem entirely amused at the recollection of our adventures and prizes won.  She seemed more interested in our description of the Bud Light girls, go figure.  My wife reported running into one of my high school classmates at TJ Maxx.  Apparently he wasn’t as successful at avoiding shopping as we were.

Some of Our Loot From the Day
We ended the day back at Keene Friend’s house with a frantic Buddy who kept trying to steal some of my wife’s birthday cake that Keene Friend surprised her with.  I invoked a little known codicil of the keto diet law which allowed me to partake as well.  My wife insisted on driving home for reasons that elude me now.  New Hampshire went two for two this weekend, color me completely entertained.
MY Wife With Her Brownie/Cake - Buddy Hovering in the Background

No comments:

Post a Comment