Sunday, March 2, 2014

Entering Prep Phase

Since my wife’s return is now only three days away my cleanup efforts on the home front entering the very serious prep phase yesterday.  I learned some important things.  I always wondered why she dusts all the time, now I know – it was kind of embarrassing as I cut though two months worth of accumulated particles. 

I know I have no chance of raising the house to the level she normally keeps it.  I just want to knock enough of the carnage down that she doesn’t immediately run for the hills.  That will be a daunting task given my somewhat lackadaisical approach to house cleaning over the past two months everywhere except the kitchen (things there smell if you let it go too long – just guessing about that, he says with tongue firmly planted in cheek).
Buddy's Contribution
Buddy and I shared a bath yesterday.  That’s not as disturbing as it sounds.  I was completely clothed by the time I wrestled him into the bathtub.  We have a whirlpool bath and it rarely gets any use.  I decided to rectify that yesterday since it was on the list of things needed to be cleaned.  My lack of experience with it immediately came into play when I learned you don’t turn the jets on until the nozzles are completely under water.  No big deal, I had to wash those windows anyways.  After I finished, Buddy came up to find out what was going on and was horrified by the prospect of a bath.  I had to drag him back up, kicking and whining for his bath.  His contribution to the cleaning effort was depositing a carpet of hair in the bathtub that required a spirited clean up.  On the up side he smells a whole lot better which will go a long way in getting my wife to forgive some of the more egregious sins (plant destruction!) he committed in her absence.
Final Piece of the Puzzles
I did find time yesterday to finish off the last of the 1000 piece puzzles designed to kill time in solitary. This allowed me to remove the extra table that’s been up in the family room since the Super Bowl (yes, I’m motivated).  I have to leave the most important steps - kitchen, bathroom and floors until the night before she returns.  If I cleaned them now I’d have to do it again that night anyways.  This is life with a dog blessed with more energy than common sense (and they say dogs come to mimic their owners – hmmmm – food for thought).
My Wife Garbed Up For Another Go at the Joron Last Night
My wife called several times to report on her antics as the year’s big Carnivale started in her home town.  The last call was around 10pm when she and her brother and sisters were just heading out to Joron Zepeda for another night/early morning of dancing (it’s how she rolls!).  I was engaged in prepping this year’s tax return so I think she wins this round. We both agreed she’s more than ready to return. 


I knocked out a small novella yesterday by my 1984 Paitilla balcony drinking partner, Tom Kratman, called Big Boys Don’t Cry.  It’s military science fiction and recounts the story of a sentient super tank reflecting on her service to humans though a series of wars.  Military guys tend to bond closely with the equipment upon whom their very lives depend.  Here the tank is given the ability to return those feelings and it’s very cool.   Tom injects some fairly scathing commentary on political and high ranking military officials victimizing the ones who have to do the fighting and dying.  It was a quick but very enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment