Monday, March 10, 2014

Sick Day

I spent all of yesterday flat on my back and not in a good or enjoyable way.  I thought Saturday that I was coming down with a cold but yesterday right after breakfast I felt as though I’d been pole axed.  This was weird because it didn’t feel like a cold other than a general malaise where I had zero energy to go along with a headache and digestive inconvenience.  I’m usually a pretty healthy guy so I don’t’ always acknowledge it when I’m feeling bad.

There was no denying this.  When my wife came down she immediately sensed something was wrong and cancelled our planned trip up to New Hampshire to see the Keene Friend.  I reluctantly agreed and said I was going to lay down on the couch.  I ended up spending the next fifteen hours there as I drifted amidst levels of consciousness.  I lay down thinking to turn the television on but before I knew it several hours had passed with hardly an electron being charged.

A huge difference having the wife back for this episode; she’s a fairly strident lioness when it comes to enforcing care and I was helpless to resist.  A steady stream of chicken soup followed the customary lectures on my inability to take adequate care of myself.  She even called both of the children to admonish them for not calling to inquire about my health.  I gently reminded her that they had no way of knowing I was sick.  She did not allow any excuses in the area; like I said – a true lioness. 

We had a long discussion this morning about me coming in to work.  I can’t remember the last time I took a sick day and I wasn’t going to spend one when I felt better.(we’re into male pride area here where I brag to employees I haven’t taken a sick day in over five years)  I’m not back to 100% but good enough to get the job done.  She was not happy with my decision which I’m sure will generate some admonitory sessions tonight.

I saw this cartoon in today’s paper which I’m sure will drive the Cantankerous One into fits of apoplexy.  Apparently I’m not the only one who thinks Obama’s sophomoric approach to foreign policy is reminiscent of the failures of Jimmy Carter.  We all know how important it is to give Putin “the space he needs”; even if that space inconveniently belongs to another country.

No comments:

Post a Comment