Friday, March 7, 2014

Anniversarial

Bitter cold yesterday but it didn’t seem as bleak since I had that special someone to wake up next to again.  She was a little (lot) less pleased by the weather but used the day to conduct her normal in depth home inspection that no amount of roses could forestall.  I returned home after work to find several items of furniture moved back into their “correct” position and endured a semi-serious lecture as to the importance of cleaning the outside of the microwave (who knew?). 
I thought I’d gotten off pretty lightly until she asked about the cleaning brush she found in the kitchen sink.  I told her I’d found it under the sink and it worked great at cleaning out the plastic pan I used each day to microwave bacon.  Fighting down an urge to gag, with no small amount of exasperation, she informed me that she used that brush to clean the corners of the shower and bath room floors (always wondered how she got those so clean).  She seemed more upset that I didn’t react with more squeamishness.  I mean, there’s nothing I could do at this point and I think I rinsed it off pretty well each time; one of those water under the bridge type situations.  She kept marveling at my ability to take this in stride until I informed her that this is what happens when she leaves me unsupervised for so long.

In all seriousness we had a great anniversary yesterday with heart felt good wishes flowing in from around the world.  She wanted to cook a special dinner at home but I was having none of that.  I craftily arranged to have the kitchen devoid of any food appropriate for such an event and the weather kept her boxed up in the house all day preventing replenishment.  I made reservations at one of the nicer Worcester restaurants which turned out to be a really good idea.

This idea was not solitary as there was no parking anywhere near the place which is just outside Worcester Polytechnic so I think the college students were contributing.  We had one of the best waitresses ever who overheard us talking about the anniversary and went out of her way to make the night special.  I invoked a little known codicil of the laws of keto by allowing myself a chocolate dessert since we were technically within 24 hours of my weekly keto vacation day.  It was an ice cream covered whoopee pie so I was basically helpless to resist. When the desserts showed up they were inscribed with “Happy Anniversary”, in chocolate, no less. (helpless, I tell you!)


It was a great night and my wife looked radiant which made having her back at my side all that more special.  I do feel bad for my bacon pan which I think will end up soaking in a vat of bleach today (so it goes).  
Helpless, I Tell You!
While waiting for my wife at the airport I polished off my latest venture into the wild world of Scot Horvath in Brad Thor's excellent The First Commandment.  My only problem with Thor's work is the absolute reading frenzy it induces. This is territory that is usually reserved for Jack Reacher or Lucas Davenport so it's cool to find another author I find so compelling.  My only complaint, I blow through them too fast.
Thor really seems to be finding his stride as each book is a little better in terms of focus and plot.  This was definitely the best of the Horvath series which I'm reading in chronological order. The story picks up right at the end of the last book with Horvath's lady love gunned down on his front porch.  Horvath sets out to run down the would be assassin which pits him against friend and foe alike, including the president  himself.  If you like the thriller genre I really encourage you to check out Thor's Horvath series - you won't be disappointed.  I'm going to wait a little bit before I return to the next one because I end up losing large swaths of my day because of my inability to put the book down.

No comments:

Post a Comment