Friday, March 14, 2014

Recovering Anticipation

Finally, FINALLY, I’m feeling better which only bolsters my theory on the recuperative powers present in the visit by one of my children.  Just the prospect of this weekend’s visit by the daughter and son in law was enough to help me turn the corner.  Now that I think about it, this week’s storm also prevented my weekly lunch with the son which must have barred an earlier recovery.  Never underestimate the medicinal effect of a filial hug.
We Lucked Out With Only 3" of Snow this Time
Winds Were Fierce Though - Most of Driveway was Clear While Others Had 2' Drifts
On a slightly more scientific level my wife may have pinpointed the vector responsible for the illness.  She has continued her cleaning rampage through the house following her return from Panama and finally reached the master bathroom.  She discovered a greenish tinge of algae inside of the tank of a waterpik I use each day on my teeth.  Unbeknownst to me she’s been cleaning the thing for me all along.  Since it just held water which was dumped after each use I thought it never got dirty.  Her extended absence put lie to that theory and for the last couple weeks I was dosing my mouth daily with some pretty nasty stuff. 
She took a photo of the reprehensible conditions she found to provide audiovisual augmentation to the obligatory lecture.  She adamantly refused to release the photo to me (knowing it would appear here) saying she didn’t want anyone knowing that such a filthy object existed in her house (her’s not our’s).  She forbade me from writing about it here as well (I’ll think about that).  She didn’t make the connection to my illness until I helpfully added that to our “discussion” which only further elevated her scandalous regard for my ability to take care of myself.  I ended the conversation by saying this is why I should not be left unsupervised for so long.

It’s strange during my time in the infantry I lived in field environments for months at a time around the world, from jungles to deserts to wintry Tennessee to summery Georgia (the worst) and never had health issues.  Two months without the chief of domestic sanitation in residence and I fall apart; being a civilian is tougher than it looks (no sergeants). 

I just finished a book that should be required reading for any lover of the canine species, A Dog’s Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron.  A friend mentioned the book on Facebook and it was on my Kindle about 35 seconds later.  This is one of the times I miss having a real book because I would love to pass this on to some of the other dog lovers in my family (they are legion). The book tells the story from a dog’s perspective.  The narrator moves through several lives as he dies and is reborn in series of other dogs retaining the lessons and memories from his prior lives. 

This grabs you by the heartstrings from the very beginning as we see the dog react to human behavior, both good and sometimes horribly evil.  It’s so funny to see the dog reacting to cats and other animals – it rang so true.  Pseudo-intellectuals will dismiss a book like this but this was some of the best fun I’ve had in a while (it’s akin to the secret shame of still loving the old Disney movies).  It didn’t hurt that in one of the dog’s lives he was named “Bailey” (name of my sister’s dog) and his climatic life is as a black lab named (that’s right – you guessed it!) “Buddy”.  If you love dogs read this book.  Even those socially damaged people who do not appreciate dogs will find something to like in this book.
My Buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment