Monday, October 15, 2012

Sunday Shambles

Thanks For the Memories - But Wake the F Up 
The very last thing I needed was another 200 mile drive yesterday.  I was buoyed by the prospect of seeing my son at the midpoint of the drive and hopefully a dominating Patriots win out in Seattle when I got home.  Needless to say the son thing went better than the Patriots did. 

Buddy helped start the day out with a bang.  I stumbled downstairs to take him out for his morning constitutional and as I was walking him back down the stairs to his lair in our host’s basement I was also carrying a scoopful of his food.  I was just thinking how bad a thing it would be if Buddy jerked on his leash at that moment when he apparently read my mind.  I learned it is not fun to have a small hangover and then crawl around on the floor picking up a couple hundred pieces of dog food.  Buddy knew he screwed up and sought safety in his cage without my saying a word.

The drive out of Maine seemed to go a lot faster than the drive up even though we used the same route.  I’m blaming Stephen King because as we were driving I kept flashing back to the movie It. Luckily there were no circus clowns in evidence, other than New Jersey drivers.

We arrived at our son’s new apartment in Portsmouth to find him in even worse shape than me.  I immediately felt better.  The Most Excellent Girlfriend and he had gone to their alma mater for homecoming on Saturday and started tailgating at 4:30am.  The MEG was out of town yesterday doing a walk for the cure of breast cancer.  My son was pursuing less lofty pursuits trying to recover from his Saturday miscalculation as to the amount of beer he should consume. 

He was also hosting a college buddy this weekend who’s in the military.  I was proud to see that the military guy was handling his recovery with a lot more aplomb than my son was.  Despite his pain my son showed us around his new apartment which includes a neat private roof deck which Buddy really liked.  My wife was concerned Buddy would try to escape off the deck (three stores up).  I scoffed and then made a fairly impressive save as Buddy did exactly that.  Why is she always right? (kinda scary)

It was a short visit but still worth it to get a small fix of filial companionship.  We set up to have lunch with each other on Wednesday and he lent me a movie he said I have to watch, The Other Guys.  Since it has Will Ferrell I’ll have to sneak it in around my wife because she loathes him for some reason.  I don’t think his comedy translates well into Panamanian.

I DVRed the Pat’s game so I got to watch it without commercials which shortened the agony of seeing them let another game slip away to an inferior foe.  The game went according to plan until the fourth quarter; usually a time when a championship team thrives and rises to the occasion.  This team may be lacking character – something hard to say about a Patriots organization that built a dynasty on that very same quality.  Brady looks old at the end of games now and maybe we’re finally seeing him on the down slope of his magnificent career.  It was definitely a downer after a truly superb weekend.
 
I ended the night watching the season finale (that went quick) of Strikeback and the latest Dexter.  While I would probably need professional help if I said those lifted my spirits (they did).  The boys took out the head villain with a hefty body count on Strikeback and Dexter is setting up for a confrontation with Ray Stevenson, one of my favorite characters since Titus Pullo days in Rome.  Things are definitely looking up there if not in Foxboro.
Thanks Buddy for Starting My Day Off Right
The First Rest Stop - No Doubt I was in Maine
Semi-Comatose Son
His Friend Handling it Much Better
Buddy Exploring the New Apartment of his Favorite Human
His Mom Got her Hugs In
Home Again - Front Yard Yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment