Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Elusive Foliage Search

We changed things up this year for our annual foliage tour of New England.  This was the fifth year in a row that the wife and I took the Columbus Day holiday to do some leaf peeping along the back roads of New England.  This year we started from my home town of Keene instead of home.  This put us an hour and a half closer to our normal target area and gave Buddy the opportunity to bond further with one of his favorite humans, our friend, who volunteered to host him for the day.
 
We start these days out with only a general plan.  I look at the map ahead of time and get a general idea of where we’ll go but then we just end up kind of wandering along back roads which I love but makes my wife kind of nervous (not a lot of confidence in her sense of direction).  What I think of as adventure has her worried about being stuck in the outback without a rescue plan.
 
We jumped over to Vermont and followed a river up into the mountains but the foliage was not that impressive.  We were anticipating some really dramatic colors this year based on what we were seeing around our house and in Keene but we were seeing some pretty drab yellows for the most part.  When we reached the mountains it was pretty clear that the area was past peak as a lot of trees were already stripped of all leaves.  I adjusted route and headed south.
 
We stopped off for a quick prayer at the site where we spread my mother’s ashes almost a decade ago.  This is a spot that offers some great views to the south, claiming to be 100 miles.  We continued our venture south using some very rural highways heading towards western Massachusetts.  As we moved through this area of Vermont I felt I was in some sort of Stephen King apocalyptic novel because we passed town after town with no human sightings.  It was down right spooky, I guess there’s not a lot going on in southwestern Vermont.  We did pass through a town claiming to be the birthplace of Brigham Young, so I can cross that off my bucket list. 
 
As I was about to question whether we were the last humans on earth I spotted an old friend high up on a mountain side.  The first couple years we did this my wife and I ate lunch at the Golden Eagle Restaurant which is located on a hairpin turn on Route 2 overlooking North Adams, Massachusetts and apparently an eerie section of Vermont.  Since it was lunch time we made our way up the hill for lunch and great views.  The photos do not do this place justice – one of my favorite places (great burgers also).
 
After lunch we wandered along Route 2 and foliage was better but still disappointing given our level of anticipation.  We stopped at a monument to Native Americans with a statue of an Indian brave greeting the rising sun which was pretty inspiring in an understated way.  We also stopped in Sherborn Falls for the bridge of flowers that my wife likes so much.
 
Leaving Sherborn I struck north back into Vermont planning on using some back roads to make my way east, at least that’s what the map said.  I found the road I was looking for and confidently headed east only to reach a cross roads where the paved road ended and no signs.  My wife was sound asleep (clam chowder is also very good at Golden Eagle) and I thanked the lord because she would have immediately gone into the panic mode and insist I turn around.  I looked at this as a challenge and picked the road that seemed headed in the most likely direction.  I passed some really beautiful homes and views but did not stop because I knew she would wake up and become anxious.  I was starting to feel a little anxious myself because the GPS map just showed the arrow representing our car on a field of complete white – no roads big enough to qualify for notice.  Finally I saw a road appear at the top of the screen and followed the dirt roads most likely to get me there.  My wife awoke as I bumped back onto a paved road.  I reached an intersection where I recognized a broken down tour bus that we passed on our way south and we were back in business.
 
We ended the day back in Keene with dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant with the Buddy whisperer.  I was pretty spent from driving all day and still had the drive home to negotiate.  I had tried a new way up to Keene on Sunday that saved a whole 1.7 miles, distance wise.  I took the same way back and discovered it looked a whole lot different at night.  I missed a turn and although headed in the right direction the pavement gave way to dirt road again and my wife was awake this time.  After an adventurous ride and lecture we were back on route and home.  A long day on the road, disappointing foliage but in the end a great day spent with my favorite Panamanian.


Vermont River We Started Up

Obligatory Covered Bridge
Of Course There Was More than One
Some Great Views
Vermont By-Way
100 Mile View

View of North Adams From Restaurant
Golden Eagle Restaurant at the Hairpin Turn

Indian Monument
Someone Peeking Out the Sun Window
Bridge of Flowers

On the Bridge
Dahlias Like My Daughter Chose for Her Wedding
Beautiful Wife and Day
View from Golden Eagle -
Road in Middle by Barn is Where we Spotted Old Friend
Mom's Spot
Shopping - An Expert Always Finds a Way

Me Alongside a Massachusetts Brook
Wife Stole the Camera
Ended our Day In Keene Which Had Best Color

No comments:

Post a Comment