Monday, October 29, 2012

Roothugger Reunion Day 3

Surrounded by Some of the Best People on Earth
You know when you’re having a really good time and you don’t want the activity you’re enjoying so much to end?  Welcome to my situation where I’ve been enjoying reuniting with some long lost friends in Florida.  Apparently my silent prayers did some good because I’ve been stranded here in Florida by Hurricane Sandy which took a strange left turn and caused the airline to cancel my planned Monday flight back home.  When I posted this on Face book I didn’t receive a lot of sympathy from rain soaked friends in the north.

The down side will be that all my fellow roothuggers will be able to leave as scheduled.  We made the most of our last day together.  After a lively breakfast we stopped into the Destin Art and Music festival which was right on the beach.  It was a little windy but with some very interesting art works and all the artists were there to talk to.  My wife found a couple of artists who’s work that she really liked.

We left in a futile attempt to find a car show but gave that up to return to the hotel which turned out to be the most fun of the entire trip so far.  A few hours sitting around a couple of tables with beer, wine and snacks and just enjoying each other’s company.  This was why we all came to this reunion in the first place and we made the most of it.  These are just great people and the shared sense of each other was rare even in the close knit military community. 

I spent part of the time arranging to extend my stay in the hotel and organize a rental car.  I don’t think my wife is through with the outlet mall of day 2.  I also re-booked my air flight for Tuesday – so we’ll see.

We ended the evening with dinner together at a nearby Bubba Gump’s which also turned out to be a whole lot of fun.  We all posed on the bench with Forrest’s shoes and suitcase.  We finished up in one of the hotel rooms planning out next reunion and saying goodbye.  I got the feeling that everyone was feeling the same thing I was – not wanting this time together to end.

Another great day, if a little bittersweet.
The Roothugger Ladies - Integral Part of the Fantastic Chemistry
A Lost Dinosaur I Saw on an Early Morning Run
My Wife at the Art Festival
Roothuggers at the Arts
Wife and I
Roothuggers Listening to Music Out of the Wind
My Wife with one of the True Characters
Forrest Pose
\

No comments:

Post a Comment