Monday, October 22, 2012

Recovery Time

Thankfully Sanchez Sucks Worse than Pat's Secondary
I should have had a good night’s sleep on Saturday night.  As chronicled yesterday I had a very busy day bouncing from the Pumkinfest to the high school reunion to my friend’s house.  I also had a couple of adult beverages during my travels.  I should have slept like the proverbial baby.  Buddy had other ideas.

When we’re visiting our Keene friend Buddy sleeps in his cage in the kitchen and usually there’s no problem whatsoever. My friend lives in an area infested with kids who attend nearby Keene State College.  Since this was a Saturday night, the night of the Pumkinfest, they’re college kids, and they had some fireworks – well you do the math.  My wife woke me from a sound (very sound) sleep after a half hour and said she could hear Buddy freaking out downstairs. 

I went down, thinking he only needed to pay a call to nature so I took him outside.  As soon as we were outside the enterprising young college kids launched a salvo of fireworks a block away.  Buddy decided he needed to seek cover under my friend’s porch and I now understood what had him so freaked out. 

I put him back in the cage but now I was wide awake and since I was sensitized to his plight (pendejo that he is) I couldn’t fall asleep because I could hear him trying to escape from the cage all night.  Every time he would settle down and stop running laps inside his cage, another fireworks display would go off and he would be re-energized.  The kids finally ran out of fireworks and or beer around 3:30am and Buddy settled down about a half hour later.

When I recounted this to my wife in the morning she came up with a brilliant idea.  She suggested we start a loud party out in the street near the den of the college kids at 6am. This would be a significant payback to our late night tormentors but I figured they could probably sleep through anything at that point – I know I could at their age.

We drove home through some truly spectacular New England foliage.  I fell in love again with the NFL red zone before the Patriots’ increasingly routine 4th quarter meltdowns.  This time against the hated Jets, this made for a very squirmy session in my Sunday couch potato position.  Brady, however, finally looked like Brady again.  It was as if they decided to stop screwing around with experiments and let him play to his strengths.  It was a nice recovery but the Patriots will have to figure something out in their secondary if they hope to do anything this year.

Speaking of recoveries, Buddy spent the entire day in a semi-comatose state.  He slept through the entire ride home, something he never does.  He was also asleep almost the entire day at home, even when I was yelling at the TV screen.  The front yard squirrels had a day of rest.
Buddy's Chosen Position Most of Yesterday
Front Yard Yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment