Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Redux Evening

I felt transported back to my youth last night due to seeing two movies back to back. The first was Argo, the new film by Ben Affleck which depicts the rescue of six American diplomats from the Iran in 1980.  The second was Iron Lady about Margaret Thatcher from the same period of time which I reviewed on the movie blog. 

The Iranian Hostage crisis – no American of my generation was not marked by this event.  This was a seminal moment in American history, even if we didn’t realize it at the time.  I was just an enlisted Soldier at the time but seeing my country so ineffectual in responding to these Iranian scumbags actually had a part in my decision to seek a commission and make the military a career.  A large part of my OCS class felt the same way – we all hoped we would get a chance to kill Iranians in large numbers.

That didn’t turn out to be possible; the Iraqis beat us to it, but that generation of military leaders totally redefined the American military, making it the preeminent military in the world.  I still feel the confrontation with Iran is inevitable as that country remains a sinkhole of profound evil that the world will eventually decide to deal with.  It is one of the few things I would gladly put the uniform back on for.

The movie itself was a revelation.  Affleck is turning into an extremely impressive movie maker. He even acts well in this!  The film does a great job of recreating the tensions and “feel” of the late 1970s without overdoing it.  I really enjoyed this movie which was “adult” in that it creates a lot of tension without resorting to cheap tricks and trying to over explain things. 

The final comment I have is how the movie intruded into my ruminations on the current presidential election.  While I’m sure this is the last thing Affleck (well known liberal that he is) intended, it brings up the danger of president like Carter. While I laud his altruistic leanings Carter never figured out that sometimes people are just flat evil and have to be dealt with.  I see a little bit of that in Obama who wants to be everybody’s friend.  I’m convinced that naïveté played a factor in the recent Libyan debacle.  Obama can’t be happy to have such a vibrant and well done movie about Carter’s presidential failings come out less than a month before the election.  Lucky for him, Romney is certainly no Ronald Reagan.
Front Yard Yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment