Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Roothuggerless Reunion Day 4

My Wife With Her Spoils
Monday was the day my wife and I were supposed to be heading home but Hurricane Sandy had other ideas.  I picked up the rental car this morning and shuttled one of the other roothugger couples to the airport. We talked to our stalwart friend back home who was spending time with the increasingly frantic Buddy as the storm blew through.  Power went out at the house late in the day so I felt even worse about placing this burden on him while I was enjoying myself down here.  I will owe him a considerable debt for the foreseeable future.

I experienced a feeling of profound sadness all day as I walked by the places where we all had so much fun this past weekend.  It was similar to feelings I had as a kid when I spent a week with a favorite cousin or my grandmother’s house – I didn’t want the good time to end.  The place just seemed extra empty without the other roothuggers around.

If I can recall correctly through the beer soaked fog of my memory I have to print a retraction on my earlier recitation of where the term roothugger came from.  One of our group volunteered that he brought it back from a tour at the National Training Center.  It would get so cold there that troops would hug the roots of trees to try and stay warm.  It represented the tough life of a combat soldier.  Since most of the group arrived at CGSC from tough assignments we readily accepted the term with a great deal of pride.

One of the other roothuggers got as far as Atlanta before his flight was canceled.  He used that time to research the term “roothugger” and learned that it has some rather disturbing meanings in the urban culture.  Suspicion immediately fell on the friend that coined the phrase who is known for and perversely proud of his somewhat dubious sense of humor.

On a less disturbing milieu my wife used the extra day in Florida to make another run at the outlet mall where she executed an extensive reconnaissance on Day 2.  I spent the day reading my kindle and exploring the depths of the Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant.  This was again a reminder of a place I passed some time with my friends earlier in the weekend so I had some mixed emotions.

My wife and I enjoyed a fun evening in the midst of all these competing emotions.  Despite the brisk weather we invaded the pool (supposedly heated) and then jumped into the hotel hot tub which was awesome!  We walked down to a restaurant that I noticed earlier in the weekend while out running.  It was an old time place called The Magnolia Grill and was an old Florida type house with memorabilia tacked to every conceivable surface and even a Wurlitzer juke box.  The food was fantastic and the company even better.

We then walked down the quiet Main Street and found a couple of treasures that we missed over the weekend.  There was a sports bar with a balcony that showed Monday Night Football projected onto a neighboring building’s wall to create a thirty foot screen, viewable from the balcony.  Right next to that was a beach bar, complete with sand, right along Main Street.  We walked into what we thought was a movie theater where they were showing The Expendables 2.  It turned out to be one of those theaters that serve food and drink so we had that going for us amid all the middle aged mayhem up on the screen (all for $2 a ticket). It was a fun day with my wife even in the face of the emotional vacuum created by the departed roothuggers.
My Ride Today - If This was Economy Size - I Fear what a Compact would Be
I had a Cheeseburger in Paradise!
My Brief Foray into the Semi-Heated Pool
Much Nicer
Couldn't Beat the View
Nearby Treasure Discovered
Inside the Magnolia Grill - Very Cool

No comments:

Post a Comment