Friday, October 19, 2012

Aftermath

Late News
I spent all day yesterday spinning down after the car accident.  It was interesting to track my body’s reactions to the surge of adrenalin provided by my early morning encounter.  Directly after the accident my hands were literally shaking and about an hour later I was really tired, almost sleepy.  It was totally appropriate that I was in charge of a meeting of all my subordinates precisely during that time period.

The funny thing is that I was taking a fairly new route into work, something I had only been using for a couple of weeks.  The route was recommended by one of the secretaries at work who lives fairly close to where I live.  I liked the route because even if it is a little longer it was almost always faster because it avoids a lot of traffic lights.  I am less of a fan of it now.

Luck is a weird animal.  I usually read the newspaper before I leave for work but yesterday the delivery was late so I left on my ill-fated trip unread.  When I got home last night and finally read the belated paper, there was a prominent article about the very intersection where the accident happened.  Apparently there is going to be a large construction project aimed at making the intersection safer.  I had visions of horses and barns.  I was left wondering if I would have approached the scene differently after reading this.  I’ve gone over and over in my head and can’t come up with a scenario where I would do anything differently. 

I hate driving around with a dinged up car. I want to stop and tell everybody that notices it that I wasn’t responsible for the damage.  Luckily the insurance company agrees and even said due to the circumstances I wouldn’t have to pay the deductible; USAA rocks! 

My wife, who doesn’t like seeing me in wrinkled clothes (something of an obsession – I mean, who irons sweaters?!) did not want me driving a wrinkled car so she volunteered her car for my trip to my nightly swim.  The first few laps were a little painful in the shoulder but it eventually loosened up.  I’m pretty sure it’s just a bruise.

I was talking about luck being a weird animal earlier.  In that sleepy meeting, the secretary who had recommended my unfortunate routing reported she had been in a car accident yesterday morning also.  It turned out ten minutes after I left the scene she was hit in virtually the same manner at the exact same location.  I’m guessing that construction project is a bit overdue.  Karma can be a stone cold bitch.
Front Yard Last Night
 

No comments:

Post a Comment