Monday, October 8, 2012

Cantankerized Sunday


My wife and I drove up to New Hampshire yesterday in preparation for the annual leaf peeping tour today.  The plan was to get up to our friends house to watch the Patriots game.  Buddy was extremely concerned that he would get left behind but my distracted him while I loaded his traveling package into the back of the car.  We arrived in Keene to find our mutual cantankerous friend was also there to watch the game with us. My wife dropped off Buddy and I and immediately headed out for some tax free hopping (to the absolute surprise of all present).

We had a great time watching the game as the Patriots put together a solid effort against a decent team led by their old nemesis, Peyton Manning.  They needed a couple of fortunate turnovers but the offense showed their improved running game to put up a lead that held up despite some late game miscues.  I was heartened by the play of a couple rookie safeties who played solid games in the absence of the starter. 

Buddy got through the game and fully exposed food  with only one sentence to the cage for counter climbing.  Our friend spent most of the day claiming he was not contentious and in large part confirmed the appellation.  This morning I looked up the definition:

cantankerous (kænˈtæŋkərəs) — adj  quarrelsome; irascible [C18: perhaps from C14 (obsolete) conteckour a contentious person, from conteck strife, from Anglo-French contek, of obscure origin]
Our friend should have his picture next to the definition, oh wait, I just did.  He was quarreling with my wife and I about being quarrelsome and of course loving every minute of the conflagration.  He was in a word - cantankerous.  It's what he does.  Luckily he's a good friend as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment