Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Culinary Cures

Miracle Cure?
Yesterday was a strange day at work as I as rushing to get some cost estimates done; the issue of food kept arising.  I finally used the toaster oven in my office that my son gave me for Christmas last year.  I asked for a small microwave oven and got the toaster oven instead which is a little more challenging to heat food up in.  I brought in some empanadas that had been languishing in our freezer for a couple of months and achieved total success.  The office did smell like empanadas for the rest of the day – not an entirely bad thing.

The food theme continued at home where my wife felt compelled to show me a newspaper article that claims apple vinegar is an effective treatment for everything from diabetes to arthritis.  I can foresee her sneaking a lot of this stuff into my food in the future. The wheels were definitely whirling in her head.

I made the mistake of knocking over one of her huge ferns while in hot pursuit of a lady bug that was trying to hibernate in the family room and couldn’t decide between the television and my forehead.  Buddy was of no help as he also tried to pursue the bug, leaping from the couch in several impressive, but unsuccessful efforts.  I grabbed the vacuum and finally had the bug trapped against the window when I noticed one of my wife’s ferns on the floor, knocked from its pedestal.

Unfortunately my nearby wife, on the telephone with a friend, also noticed.  She did not consider my heroic endeavor at ladybug eradication adequate reason for endangering one of her plants (which seemed fine, by the way).  I had to listen for the next five minutes while she pointed out, to whomever she was talking to on the phone, my lack of proper care and decorum around her plants and the general failings of the male species in general.

For some reason, this really pissed me off.  I think mostly because she was talking like I wasn’t even there and magnified my mistake with the plant to an epic failure of the male gender as a whole.  I was close to a simmering rage so I took off for my evening swim and took out my wrath on my unsuspecting body.  I was still angry when I got home and wouldn’t even talk to her.  She didn’t appear to notice and came over to where I was sitting with a freshly baked peanut butter blossom cookie. 

This, of course, washes away all kinds of sins.  My mother taught my wife how to make my favorite cookie and she has perfected it.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) she only makes them for my son and at Christmas nowadays.  This is sadly a good thing, otherwise I would weigh north of 300 pounds.  I’m content to pick off a few strays when she’s not looking but this cookie had the medicinal effect on my ire that apple vinegar could only dream about.

I woke up this morning with an extremely sore knee, product of the anger filled swimming session.  I’ve had two arthroscopic surgeries on this knee and I’m noticing it more and more.  Maybe I’ll rub some apple vinegar on it when I get home.
The Real Miracle Cure
Unfortunately Destined for my Son's Consumption
The Maiden Voyage
Success
Front Yard Yesterday
 

No comments:

Post a Comment