Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Search

I was swimming last night and my mind wandered as it does when I’m trying to swim faster than my middle aged body is prepared to accomplish.  For some reason I was thinking about searching.  It seems to me we spend all of our lives in some form of search.  We’re looking for something.  It could be the perfect companion, the next promotion, or the next thrill.  I know I’m looking for home.  I started out this blog with that in mind.  I think it’s something basic to human nature to seek, sometimes just for the pleasure in the act of seeking.  It’s probably what enabled us to emerge from the primordial ooze and got us to where we are today, good and bad.  The problem with the constant search is that people forget to look around and see what they’ve already got.  Life will never be perfect but there is so much to enjoy in everyday living, most of all the people who inhabit your life, sometimes too tangentially.  Take a breath look around and appreciate the people who move through your day.  Take a breath and look at a sunset, a soaring hawk, or the wind moving through a stand of trees.  There is so much about life in general that is worthy of wonder that we sacrifice to the search.  Then I remembered to take a breath before I drowned and my mind returned to the task at hand; searching for a way to survive the workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment