Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Love Actually!!!!

Lucky Guy on the Left
Not only the title of one of my favorite movies but decidedly the case for the young couple I mentioned in the blog about the NYC wedding.  I was talking with my daughter last night when she revealed that the dancing star from her wedding had popped the question to the young lady.  I could not be happier.  I don’t know the young man but the young lady was my daughter’s roommate for her first few years in New York and I think she’s one of the coolest people I know.  Of course the supply of cool people I know is somewhat limited but still, this guy better be up to the challenge of being worthy.  She and my daughter headed out six years ago with a loaded U-Haul truck, no jobs, and a dream of living in New York City.  They both have been roaring successes and I’ve always admired their courage to attempt/succeed at living their dream.  Congratulations – I’d like to think my inclusion of you in the blog had a relatively microscopic impact on reaching this point (every little bit helps) but I’ve always had an inflated opinion of my impact.  I’m just glad this guy realized what a treasure he was squiring around New York City.  On news of a supremely more mundane level my wife and I went to see Snow White and The Huntsman last night and it was . . . . ehhhh, okay.  I had high hopes for this based on the previews but it did not measure up.  I have to lay the blame (my wife certainly did) at the feet of Kristin Stewart, an actress I usually like.  She just was not up to the part and was dominated by every actor around her.  She seems to have permanently adopted the vulnerable, “rescue me” persona of the character she plays in those teeny bopper vampire flicks.  She certainly was not capable of carrying this movie’s most important scenes, which was required of her.  She is supposed to give this rip roaring speech to get everyone psyched up for a battle and even though it was scripted I was genuinely surprised that anyone agreed to follow her.  It’s a shame but the movie fails because of her.  Theron was at her routine awesomeness and Hemsworth continued his string of really good roles as the huntsman (I’d love to be his agent over the next few years).  I’m ready for the rain to stop around here, everything is really green, this is NEW England not the real England which over the past few weeks it seems like we’ve possessed the dreary weather of.

No comments:

Post a Comment