Sunday, June 17, 2012

Commencing in Rhode Island

Star of the Day
Yesterday was a long but very rewarding day.  We all went to Rhode Island to see my nephew, namesake, and godchild (all rolled into one fine young man) graduate from high school.  There was some debate as to whether Buddy would accompany us and spend the day with his cousin Bailey at my sister’s house.  I swear that dog can read minds because Buddy was trailing beside me all morning not letting me out of his sight, even going into areas where he is not allowed.  He played his trump card as he lowered the brown eyed pleading stare on my wife and punched his ticket for Rhode Island.  He loves riding in the car and jumps in as soon as possible and then waits patiently for the pesky humans to get ready.  My daughter, a bona fide cat person, had the pleasure of Buddy’s bated breath over her shoulder for the entire trip; I don’t think she was overjoyed with the aroma.  Since its Father’s Day weekend she took one for the team and didn’t complain, too much.  Buddy was extremely pleased with my sister’s new deck and demonstrated that by defecating in spectacular, almost athletic fashion into (more onto) a full garbage bag, of course in front of all of us.  Enough of the dog for now, the star of the day was my nephew, who hated school but rangered his way through it.  I am very proud of him for sticking with something he disliked, realizing it was important.  The clan gathered at my sister’s house for the trip into Providence where the graduation ceremony was held.  I’ve always liked that graduations are called commencement ceremonies because the really important aspect is that they symbolize the beginning of a new phase rather an ending.  The ceremony was held in the Providence Center for Performing Arts which was one those old spectacular theaters that I love.  There was gilt and ornament abounding, there was even a huge organ that emerged from the depths in front of the stage to play the entrance of the graduates.  The entire audience was kept out of the theater, no assigned seating, until thirty minutes prior to the start.  When they opened the doors there was a mad rush for seats.  I was just milling around looking for seats when my wife realized I was overmatched and took charge.  She quickly found seats for at least two people and then ushered us upstairs to the balcony while leaving my nephew’s girlfriend holding down seats she already found.  We ended up with seats centered on the stage only three rows back, great seats!  She went down and retrieved the girlfriend and then looked at me with disdain when I complimented her on her demonstrated talent indicating that was how she rolled.  I was truly impressed.  The ceremony was actually fairly short, not short enough for my nephew who texted his girlfriend that if the politicians didn’t shut up soon he was going to leave. The speeches were unimpressive but blessedly short.  The graduates rolled across the stage with the obligatory cheer from their respective family sections.  The ceremony ended with a song that included a string quartet from the high school.  I think any event is elevated with the use of violins and I was amazed at the talent demonstrated by this high school kids.  We all rallied outside the theater and faced the crush of people trying to get out; I figured we were doomed to a long wait.  For whatever reason when we came out of the parking garage and after waiting for a clear lane through the mass of people found ourselves in the clear.  The only problem was we were in the middle of a city I was not familiar with and the only person who was familiar was my sister.  My sister is globally recognized for her absolute inability to navigate.  Our mother used to say, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, that my sister had a wonderful sense of direction.  That sense of doom descended again.  My sister however rose the occasion and quickly had us headed in the right direction.  I had a momentary concern when she told me to go straight when the road ended (construction had blocked off the road) but she quickly adapted and shortly had us winging out of the city.  Once again, I was truly impressed, so out of character.  I think my mother was looking down and smiling that after all these years her daughter finally got it right.  We all headed to my sister’s mother in law’s house where the magnificent family of my sister’s in laws gathered to congratulate the graduate.  I’ve written before about how much I love being around them and yesterday in no way diminished that feeling.  My sister’s mother in law had the table completely covered with food with more arriving every minute, although her sister in law made the old “my dog ate the homework” excuse. Apparently their dog devoured a couple of fairly large calzones – I think they’re going to need gas masks in that house for a couple of days.  I also discovered a new culinary masterpiece.  The cake for the party was a donut cake, a cake made up entirely of a huge frosted donut.  I had never seen anything like it but it was delicious, I think there are more of these in my future.  My impatient nephew had to head back to the same theater to see his girlfriend graduate (she goes to a different high school).  I hope he survived. We departed for another dog breath befouled trip (she really is a cat person) back home.  We spent a relaxing evening at home although there was a short period of concern when my wife disappeared on a short trip to buy something at the grocery store.  When she didn’t answer her phone I headed out to see if I could find her.  As I got to the end of the street she came literally tearing down the street taking the corner on two wheels (well almost).  She had apparently been drawn into one of her favorite stores near the grocery store and lost track of time.  These things happen (well to her at least and more than on seldom occasions).  We had a fire out on the deck to toast smors and Buddy was unsuccessful in rescuing the wood from the fire (although not from lack of effort).  It was so much fun to sit around the fire with my daughter and wife and just catch up with each other.  A good day.
Buddy Ready - Where are those Damned Humans
Outside the Theater,l to r, Daughter, Bro in Law, Sister,
Sister's Mom in Law, Wife, Nephew's Girlfriend in Front
Grads Lining up Prior to Ceremony in Theater
The Ladies in the Sought After Seating
Nephew Stepping onto Stage (trust me he did)
The Star Back Out Front with Key Supporting Cast
Including my Sister AKA The Navigator
The Fabulous Donut Cake
Meeting its Well Deserved Fate at Hands of my Nephew
Smors with my Favorite Ladies

No comments:

Post a Comment