Monday, June 4, 2012

Happy Birthday for My Newest Son

Tattoos No Longer Hidden
Anyone who read this blog knows how proud I am of my two children; in my mind, justifiably.  A few years ago we added to that pantheon when my daughter met my future son in law.  I often tell a joke that my daughter has repeatedly told me is no longer funny (but what the hell).  I tell people that my daughter married every father’s dream – a rock musician.  The truth is I could not be happier with her choice; of course it helps that he’s a successful rock musician.  He led a very difficult childhood that would have marked a lesser man.  He emerged as a very centered, very caring, and extremely nice young man.  When we first met him I had all the sensors up because it was obvious that my daughter really liked him.  He came up for my 25th wedding anniversary and it was an extremely hot day.  He volunteered to iron some table cloths for my wife and was wearing a long sleeve shirt in the oppressive conditions.  I finally asked my daughter what was going on and she sheepishly confided that he didn’t want to make a bad impression and that his arms were covered with tattoos.  My wife and I laughed because we had already checked him out on the internet and knew the extent of his “body art”.  This tale in indicative of his character though, he was trying to ease us gently into his courtship of our daughter.  For some reason I can never fathom, I intimidated some of my daughter’s earlier boughs.  I never felt that with this guy; although he did wait until he was touring in Japan before he dared tell me he planned on asking for our daughter’s hand.  Yesterday was his birthday and while we couldn’t be together, at least he was home long enough from touring that he was able to be with his wife.  I think one of a father’s worst fears is who a daughter will choose to marry.  As with most of her choices in life – she got this one extremely right.  Our lives are enriched by the addition of his presence – so Happy Birthday son, and thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment