Sunday, June 10, 2012

Mafia Got Together

Whiffle Superstar in Backyard
Yesterday was spent preparing for and then hosting a group of friends for a late afternoon barbecue.  I’ve written earlier that I call the group of friends that my wife seems to acquire in every place we have ever lived – the Panamanian mafia.  Yesterday we had the Worcester chapter of the mafia, well at least elements of it, over to the house.  My friend that was down from my hometown stayed over for the party and helped with the preparation phase – a period of high energy, at times manic paced, cleaning of the house under the frazzled leadership of my wife.  I got the lawn mowed and then power washed part of the house and both the front porch and rear deck.  My friend foolishly volunteered to help and was decisively engaged by my wife in a myriad of tasks that I’m sure had his head spinning by the end of the day.  He certainly seemed ready for that first beer.  We ended up playing whiffle ball with the precocious five year old daughter of one of my wife’s friends who corrected her father when he said that she had been selected as student of the month for her kindergarten class.  She was in fact – the Superstar Student of the Month!  It was fun to be around this young lady’s boundless energy – she loves Buddy and he was truly exhausted by the end of the night.  Buddy has made huge strides and can now participate in these parties.  The food was great and the comradery even better.  We had a couple games of lawn bowling that my son in law introduced us to which was a lot of fun.  It was a perfect New England summer day and when the chill of the evening came on my wife suggested I start a fire.  This is truly like setting me loose in a chocolate factory.  I absolutely love fires – if I had a smidge less common sense I probably would have made a fair to middling pyromaniac.  There is something primordial about sitting around a fire with friends; it was a great way to end the evening.  I considered it a success because I didn’t burn the deck down – I did overachieve as to the size of the blaze (thank God for that smidge).  Today promises to be a lot more genteelly paced – I’m looking forward to some couch time.  Hopefully the wife does not have other plans.  She seems to resent any periods of inaction on my part.  Oh, I’m still pissed.
Around Table with the Mafia
Party Moved Outside Early
Pyro Is Loose

Alright Maybe I did Get a Little Carried Away!

No comments:

Post a Comment