Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Chick Flicking Tuesday

Yesterday started off with a bang, Buddy, who uncharacteristically hadn’t eaten his two prior meals, was totally devouring his breakfast.  I was reading the last of my daily newspaper when Buddy charged up the stairs and deposited the meal at my feet, apparently an upset stomach being the culprit.  I hurried him outside to complete the return of his recently consumed meal.  He looked real guilty as I was cleaning the carpet upon which he made his deposit but seemed a lot more energized, if that is even possible with Buddy.  Like most dogs, he became obsessed with eating the results of his technicolor yawn which I ended up having to bury under some pebble stones to keep him away from.  In the middle of the day my wife called and asked why Buddy was eating rocks when she let him outside.  The joys of canine ownership, it’s like they don’t want to ever give up on a meal; kind of admirable when you look at it that way. Yesterday was date night and the big movie release was a rock musical.  I had no desire to see the much ballyhooed Cruise codpiece so I decided to take one for the team and see a chick flick with the wife.  We went to see What to Expect When You’re Expecting which included a lot of the cast from last year’s breakout hit Bridesmaids.  This was no where near as funny but my wife laughed really hard throughout.  I think I was the only male in attendance.  It was interesting because the only really defined roles were the female ones with the male roles as strictly supporting.  This is definitely a turn about on the usual Hollywood formula and it worked.  Jennifer Lopez showed she could act as did, surprisingly, Brooklyn Decker, who demonstrated she’s a lot more than a pretty face.  I enjoyed the movie more so from seeing my wife’s reactions than anything else.  She sees so many of my type movies that I was glad to see her so bubbly coming out of one she enjoyed.  I told her this was payback from her tolerance (as thinly disguised as it normally is) of all the guy movies she sees with me.  We definitely need to keep my daughter away from this movie if we have any hope whatsoever of having grandchildren.  Last week I forgot to mention that I finished my latest Terry Brooks excursion, taking up the final (for me) trilogy with Armageddon’s Children.  This is another in the Void and Word series and will serve as the connection between contemporary times and the world of Shannara.  It was kind of depressing as the epic battles of the first trilogy seemed to have been in vain and the world descends into chaos but I still enjoyed the read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment