Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Good Timing

Order Restored - My New Watch
After a full day yesterday spent hooking and jabbing with the union I was looking forward to some respite.  However the cosmos had other plans starting with a visit to the local mall.  One of the extremely too generous Fathers Day gifts I received was a brand new watch from the whole family.  Not to digress (yet here we go), but I’ve worn a watch since college and had not been without one since.  In the Army timeliness is the coin of the realm and a watch was required equipment.  When my latest watch died a couple of months ago I decided to see if I could live without it, turns out I could.  It was like leaving another vestige of my military personae behind.  For some reason this drove my wife a little crazy.  Timeliness has never been her strong suit; hell it does not occupy a single iota of her personality.  I guess she admired this in me and was a little distressed to see me without a timepiece.   So the vacation was over and I went to the mall to get it sized to my wrist.  As I entered the mall I noticed two of Worcester’s youthful denizens being handcuffed by no less than six policeman.  The spoils of their would be shop lifting spree spread about the sidewalk.  I’m sure they got there on one of our buses because we’ve had meetings with the manager of this mall who bemoaned the fact that one of our bus routes goes directly from one of Worcester’s most notorious public housing complexes to his mall.  I’m sure these fine young men were delivered by one of our buses.  Upon entering the mall I noted that it was almost deserted and this caused me to reflect that the great American mall concept is probably dying.  Malls were a creation of the 1970s and like a lot of things from that epoch were poorly done.  Malls used to be vibrant gathering places packed with people but have certainly lost their appeal, probably due to on line shopping.  Yesterday the biggest groups in the mall looked to be compatriots of the two guys I saw being handcuffed.  The sales personnel certainly outnumbered the customers.  For some reason I, who detest shopping in all forms, was little saddened by this evolution, go figure.  As soon as I got home the wife and I embarked on a project to re-finish our back deck.  The first step was moving everything off the deck which was a monumental task in and of itself.  My wife is incredible with flowers and the dozens of extremely heavy flower pots I had to move off the deck attested to this.  We worked together in first hosing down the deck and then scrubbing it with some chemical cleaner.  Finally as the sun was going down I was out there with the power washer just dealing with the deck.  I really, really like the power washer (Tim Taylor had that right) more power is gooood!  It was a little dark by the end to see the results of our efforts but this morning revealed total success.  We have to let it dry out for a couple of days before the finish goes on.  I sat down to watch an episode of the Wire, I’m getting near the end of the first season and it’s starting to grow on me (just a little).  My wife and I started to watch a movie (another F.D. gift) but we were both so tired that we’ll see the second half of the movie tonight.  I enjoyed working on this project together with my wife, seems we’re a good team, who knew.  My thoughts today are with my family in South Carolina burying our beloved cousin, wish I could have been there.  Oh, I love having a watch back on my wrist, guess I haven’t left the military personae completely behind.  She really does know me.
Malls Dying - Why So Sad?

No comments:

Post a Comment