Friday, January 31, 2020

Five Years Ago


I hesitate to make a statement in this regard but this has been a fairly easy winter so far. I hesitate because I was thinking the same thing 5 years and Mother Nature then laid the hammer down with a series of memorable snow falls. Of course, back then I had the driveway from hell to clear which made the winter even more unforgettable. I also had Buddy the Wonder Pooch as my trusty sidekick and he loved the snow which made it more bearable. While I’m still on a hilltop my driveway is a small fraction of the 2015 version. While the governor ordered all traffic off the roads a couple times that winter I was still proud of the New Englanders who emerged after the snow falls to clear the roads and get back to work.
The View from my Office 5 Years Ago
Both granddaughters were in high form last night. The FBR was very excited because her dad was due to arrive home. Wingman’s reunion tour ended and he was targeted for one of the FBR’s patented wakeup calls this morning. I volunteered to assist her in honing her technique in this area on my recent visit. The BRS was dancing to her favorite Frozen song when I caught up with her. She was doing this from the top of her kitchen tower which made the performance even more impressive. I also received an update from the Favorite Panamanian who will finally get down to our condo today for the first time since arriving in Panama. She’s been a more than willing taxi driver for her mother and elder uncles for medical appointments and then there’s always shopping to consider. There was also some very good news I that a new ultra-modern movie theater has opened in her home town adjacent to a huge new mall (they still build them down there).
Oh! Today is also the First Friday of the Week which will not go unrecognized.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor

No comments:

Post a Comment