Thursday, January 9, 2020

Geo-Batching Day 2


My second day as a geographic bachelor blessedly started off a little later than Day 1 but that’s where the joy ended since the first event of the day involved a return to the dentist office. Somehow, against all odds and my mother’s constant predictions based on my youthful dental hygiene tendencies, I still have all my original teeth. I’m in the process of getting four crowns installed on the least hardy of the survivors though. Yesterday was tooth two of this process. The first step is never a lot of fun especially when they hit a nerve halfway through that resisted the initial dose of Novocain. After profusely apologizing the dental hygienist made the comment, “Well that certainly woke you up, didn’t it!”. Must be dental humor, I missed the part where it was funny.
The rest of the day was uneventful except for the constant drooling as the second dose of Novocain deadened better than half my entire mouth. The FBR was in a bit of a snit when they called last night. Her mother had turned off the cartoons in order to call me and I was assigned the role of villain by my granddaughter who peremptorily turned the screen towards her mother only. That was fine as I love talking with my daughter. When the FBR noted that her punishment was not fully appreciated she would sneak into the picture until noticed and then vanish again.
I love the cosmic change in communication that video calls have made over the last ten years. It really makes a difference being able to see the face of the other person to the point I almost don’t hate being on phone calls any more. A case in point is my call with my Favorite Panamanian last night. I felt as if I was sitting in my mother in law’s living room with my wife, her brother and sister in law. We were poking fun at my wife which I felt safe enough to engage in given the several thousand miles that currently separate us.
Back to the movies last night to see Bombshell. This provides yet another take on the Fox New sexual harassment scandal surrounding the toad-like Roger Ailes. This has to be said – Charlize Theron is the best actress of the current generation. I remain amazed at her ability to transform herself for certain roles. She steals every scene as Meghan Kelly and comes across as smart, ruthless, and almost regal. Stealing scenes is not a given, even for Theron, given the quality of the cast here and that says everything about Theron. This movie should be required viewing for those who claim the sanctity of Fox News during this era, in reality, any era. The plot is a little more surface than it needed to be but the actors lift the material and make it eminently watchable. John Lithgow as Ailes provides the object lesson that power is inevitably corrupting.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment