Monday, January 27, 2020

Granite State Fun Run

A granddaughter once again played a key role in assuaging any thought of loneliness over the past weekend. This time the BRS stepped up with able assist from Keene Friend and the Cantankerous One. I started out Saturday morning to the New Hampshire seacoast to see my Favorite Son, the ABFA, and the BRS. He was holding the BRS looking out for me when I drove in and she immediately took charge when I came in. She showed me all of her Christmas acquisitions and is a lot more verbal in the short time since I last saw her. She also became a big fan of grandfather shoulder rides.
A Very Happy Grampa

In Thrall
Fortunately for my Knees Daddy was on Ball Tent Duty
I didn’t want to stay too long because the ABFA was fighting a cold along with the BR3 demands on her energy. It was still a very fun visit that reminded me of how lucky I’ve been on a number of levels. My next stop was the other side of New Hampshire for an afternoon with high school buddies. I used the northern route via I-89 and made the trip in about one and a half hours. That would have been unheard of back in the day and much faster than recent trips via route 101. I got to Keene so early that Keene Friend was still out running errands. This allowed me the luxury of driving around my hometown wallowing in nostalgia.
Keene and Cantankerous Friends at Kilkenny

Keene Friend and I set up shop in the Kilkenny Pub after finding the new bar inhabiting the former Scores wasn’t open on Saturday afternoons. That turned out to be a good thing because I love the Kilkenny – which is a real bar without affectations or apologies. We were soon joined by the Cantankerous Friend and somehow successfully avoided politics for the entire afternoon. It was a great afternoon of old friends sitting around and just talking – although there was some beer sent downrange. There’s a shorthand in communication between guys who’ve been friends for as long as we have that’s comforting.

Meanwhile - Panama City The PanaGals were on the Loose
I drove home yesterday to accomplish the usual Sunday chores. My Favorite Panamanian had been closely following my travels and delivered her usual diatribe on the evils of demon alcohol but I enjoyed talking with her enough to take it in stride. She had been running around Panama City with her cousin and sister for the past few days so didn’t really have a platform to lecture. I was shocked to hear the news of the tragic death of Kobe Bryant and his daughter. It was also telling that his death seemed to be a bigger “news” story than anything else going on, including the presidential impeachment. It’s a sad comment on how far we’ve fallen into celebrity worship versus real news. Still Bryant seemed to have been one of the few superstars who were bigger than their game and genuine.
FBR Was Getting her Elsa on in NJ

I'm Guessing She Liked It


Frozen Themed Birthday Party - Talk about Wheelhouses!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment