Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Dichotomous Cinema


My Favorite Panamanian has safely returned to the land of her birth for her annual winter sojourn in the tropics, making me a de facto geographic bachelor. I kid with her about flying south for the winter each year but in reality it’s a pledge I made when I retired from the military. I did it because I retired from the Army two years after my mother passed away. I always told myself there would be time to spend with her when I finished my time in uniform. Fate had other ideas. My wife’s parents were still around and I had already kept her away from them for all the years she was excelling as an Army wife. I felt I owed her some time with them that I never got because of my father’s untimely death and my mother’s passing before I could return home. It was part guilt on for my own failures but also a recognition of the vagaries of life and that if my own parents were still around I’d want to spend some of whatever time they had left with them.
Son Came Through with a Bunch of BRS Photos
I know my wife was very grateful that she was there with her father prior to his passing and the time she has now with her mother. A number of my wife’s friends questioned leaving me alone for these long periods of time as if I pose a threat to seek out female companionship in her absence. I have neither the inclination nor the energy for that pursuit although I’m proud to think some people still suspect I do. While my wife indeed is allergic to winter the real reason she’s flies south each year is for that precious time with her mother now, something I rue each day that I was denied.
Winter Princess

After Watching her Dad Make Christmas Cookies

Has Engineer Genes

And an Adventurer

Where Can I put These Hands Now?

This Will Help Me Climb the Kitchen Cabinets
The granddaughters stepped up their game last night in the morale assistance game. The FBR was very communicative which I’m sure had nothing to do with the bribe of additional cartoon time if she was. She proudly proclaimed that she had taken her nap that afternoon at day care. I asked her if that wasn’t something she was supposed to do each day and her epic reply was, “Well today I did!” The BRS was commanding the kitchen when we talked. Her parents gave her a climbing tower which she uses now to move around the kitchen counter to engage in mischief, especially with running water in the sink. Last night she wasn’t giving me the time of day until I started playing games with the IPad, turning it a bunch of different ways which had her giggling. It’s not just abuela that can be entertaining.
One of my “go to” tactics while my Favorite Panamanian is gone is to retreat to the movies which gets us to today’s title. I saw two movies last night that could not be more different in style and tone. I watched The Art of Racing in the Rain at home which is the ultimate tear jerker for a dog lover. I loved the book which, as in most cases, is infinitely better than the movie. The movie though grabs your heartstrings from the get go as it is told through an elder golden retriever, voiced by Kevin Costner. The story follows the travails of a young Seattle family and was made for the hidden romantic/dog lover which I am not copping to but there were almost non-stop misty eyes for long segments of the movie. Anybody who loves dogs should see this, with a lot of tissues handy. My kids were a little concerned when I told them I was also planning on going out to the movies after being up since 3:30am (trip to airport) and then putting in a full day at work. I blithely informed them that was how I rolled but if I had gone to bed early I would wake up at 3:30am again. (no thank you)
We arrive at the title’s significance because Uncut Gems could not be more dissimilar. I was tempted several times to walk out of the movie because there was literally no one to root for in this movie. A NYC jeweler is the despicable central character and is trying to balance loan shark enforcers, a mistress, stolen jewels, a gambling addiction, and family life and spectacularly failing at each endeavor. I’m glad I stayed because Adam Sandler is truly revelational as this idiot. He can’t seem to buy a break and richly deserves each debacle he encounters. It was akin to watching a very long train wreck as each time he stood on the verge of success another aspect of his life caught up with him. You can almost root for him even though he doesn’t deserve it and that’s tribute to Sandler’s performance. I left the theater thinking I needed a shower though.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment