Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Jersey on my Mind


Some three day weekends are better spent than others. This past one certainly qualifies as I accomplished two trips through the barren wasteland of Connecticut traffic (where hopes go to die) without incident or hold up. This is truly unprecedented. Of course, I would have done it with the usual pain because of the destination. I drove down on Saturday morning ahead of a snow storm to hang out with my daughter and the redoubtable FBR.
Heading Out to the Snowball Range
FBR with her Preferred Target
She immediately put me to work in a new game she’s developed. I was seated next to her while she employed one of her small figurines to attack another. I was then called upon to counsel the offending figurine who was then banished to a small pail. This is not a game she tires of, even after 50-60 iterations. I blame Soxfather for all of this as he introduced talking to the FBR’s figurines over the holidays. As we’ve all learned – the FBR forgets nothing. As she seemed to take an inordinate amount of joy out the silly game I was all in – even when summoned to play during the NFC championship game.
The Figurine Game

Grampa - You're not Paying Attention!

But That's Okay
The weekend also gave my daughter a couple breaks as she’s been acting as the sole child care provider during Wingman’s absence on tour. The FBR and I went out to lunch on Sunday at the local diner and she was perfect. I didn’t have to chase her down at all and she had a seemingly well-rehearsed schedule of sequencing her toys out of the accompanying bag. My favorite part of the weekend was getting some time with my daughter where we talked about our shared love of reading and movies. When the FBR retired each evening we watched movies and Mrs. Maisel together. She even convinced me to watch Little Women with her – who thought that was even possible?
Working with Mom on the Computer

I gave the FBR the important job of waking me up as soon as she came downstairs each morning. A task she took to with great aplomb. Luckily I could always hear her approaching down the sitars and was prepared when the four year bundle of energy landed on my stomach while I feigned sleep. New Jersey only got a couple inches of snow but the FBR and I were out there to insure every available snowball was made and then cast at the nearest grandfather. It’s my role in the equation. I know the FBR misses Wingman and when I asked her about the concert she went to last week she immediately summoned some of her dad’s band’s music. She then launched into a head banging dance to celebrate the music – claiming this was now her favorite song. Wingman over Disney – high praise indeed.
My Other Snow Bunny - the BRS

Very Excited

Dad You Don't Need Those Glasses

I am an Angel - Trust Me
I returned home yesterday to find that Worcester had received a lot more snow than New Jersey and the ensuing time/temperatures had allowed it to freeze solid. That made the snow blowing a little more interesting than it should have been. After groceries, laundry, and cooking I spent some quality time in the Man Cave insuring the DVR backlog did not get out of hand. Over the weekend we tried to get the BRS and FBR together via FaceTime and while the BRS was excited to pursue that the FBR was in diva mode.
The Sink Master



Yes - I Am!
The BRS had even donned her Moana costume of the call. My Favorite Son related the BRS was in full control of the kitchen sink now. This usually results in everything getting wet, prominent being herself and the surrounding kitchen. They also received a lot of snow. Riggins and the BRS engaged in a snow eating contest which the ABFA said greatly assisted in clearing the driveway. The BRS is a lot more vocal and answers questions in possibly the most charming manner ever. She also has very definite ideas of where she falls in the food chain. The word I am looking for is – formidable.
Riggins in the Snow





---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment