Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Granddaughter Bequeathal


If you’ve read this blog at all you know by now that I am hopelessly in thrall to both of my granddaughters. The best recent news is that the FBR and BRS will be joined by another agent of joy – the BR3. Last night I was safely entombed in the solitary Man Cave when serial calls from both granddaughters brightened the leaden atmosphere. I’ve already noted that the FBR has inherited my Favorite Panamanian’s shopping genes (extensive as they are). Last evening she regaled me with the proper way to speed eat an ice cream sandwich (something I’m guessing she gets from me). She also related her weekend adventures at a Frozen themed birthday party. Apparently Princess Elsa drove all the way from Disneyworld to help apply makeup for the party goers. Disney, what can you say? They are dedicated to their fans.
The BRS was equally charming last night. My Favorite Panamanian has bequeathed her telephone adeptness to this little fireball. Last night when the BRS saw I was on the phone she demanded my son give her the phone. I spent the rest of the conversation speed walking around their house with a view of her hairline and above. During our travels her other grandfather, the ABFA’s redoubtable dad, called in. She immediately demanded that phone also and refused to give up the one I was on. I was able to share a few words with my counterpart as we continued our trek with a very satisfied BRS who kept saying “Hi!” whenever she heard our voices. She’s not even two yet but was capable of handling two phones simultaneously with great aplomb. This is definitely something she inherited from my wife, whom I once caught carrying on three separate phone conversations at once (cell phone, house phone, and Skype); definitely genetic.

I eventually left the house for dateless date night and saw The Gentlemen. This was Guy Ritchie attempting to return to his earlier themes of quirky British criminals. Matthew McConaughey leads off as a career marijuana impresario assaulted on all sides from one Ritchie’s typical mixture of bad guys - Chinese mobsters, Russian mobsters, and American mobsters. The cast is genuinely superb and this is the first movie I really enjoyed Charlie Hunnam in as he makes his way from the small to the large screen. He plays McConaughey’s second in command who has to manage the chaos swirling around the various sub-plots. Michelle Dockery also shines as the more than capable wife. Colin Farrell however steals the movie as possibly the one sort of good guy. He nails every scene he’s in as a hyper boxing trainer trying to shield his charges from the criminal world. The thick British accents were a challenge at times for a Yank but it’s definitely one of the movies I’ll see again, knowing I missed some things during the rapidly evolving plot. It was the funniest movie I’ve seen in a while and definitely a return to form for Ritchie.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment