Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Projecting


As I ease towards actual retirement I’m becoming more involved in planning my big post-retirement adventure; something I’ve had in mind for many years. I can claim to have “visited” 48 of the 50 states. The only outliers are North Dakota and Idaho. I say visited but in reality many of those were touch and goes at the airport or zipping along on the interstate from one place to another. My adventure will be an epic road trip in which I hit all 48 of the lower states. I’ll use mostly state routes and avoid the interstates because I want to take a look around this great country. I must be channeling my inner Jack Reacher but in reality this is something I’ve dreamed about before I started reading those books.
My Newest Obsession
I still believe in the fundamental greatness of this country and the intrinsic worth of the vast majority of the people inhabiting it. During my years in the Army I was always too busy to take the needed look around to see what had led to my calling in defense of it. I’ve started with the premise that I’ll avoid the places I’ve already spent a lot of time in and hit the undiscovered (personally) places. My Favorite Panamanian recently informed me, in no uncertain terms, that I would not be taking this trip without her, although she did immediately start complaining that it sounded boring. I plan on starting this summer and getting as far as I can each day and then finding a motel to crash for the night if a friend or relative isn’t within striking distance. I’m guessing at this point it will take about two weeks.
Man Cave Starting to Fill Up
As I said, the planning has started. I bought a book with the latest maps. Using a map of all 48 states I traced out a potential route and then went to the book of maps to see what roads are available along the way. I also sent away to each state tourism bureau for travel information and that has started to arrive at the house. It reminded me of a high school project where I exhaustively mailed each state for the same thing and received about 80% back. Now I used google and the state websites, making all the requests in about twenty minutes. I’m started to get excited about the adventure and really seeing America this time out.
For dateless date night I checked out Bad Boys for Life. After seeing this I’m still not convinced this was a franchise that needed to be resurrected. It was very entertaining to see the two buddies played by Will Smith and Martin Lawrence navigate middle age but the film at times goes for angst and introspection which isn’t either character’s strong suit. The guys are trying to find out why the entire country of Mexico seems devoted to killing Smith’s character. Things are blowing up all over in very Michael Bay fashion which requires the suspension of disbelief and common sense. It’s still an enjoyable ride emphasizing friendship, honor, and fast cars. Will Smith takes more of a central role, reflecting the difference in star power since the original, but Lawrence is undeniably funny when he needs to be.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment