Friday, January 10, 2020

Major Whoops


I was wondering why the Iranians uncharacteristically backed down so quickly after just a symbolic response to last week’s take out of their head terrorist. It’s becoming clear that it was because in the process of their heightened alert they shot down a Ukrainian passenger liner. They are, of course, denying it, but the evidence is pretty clear. There is video showing the missile streaking up, an explosion and the jet coming down.  These type missiles are designed to explode in close proximity to the target to shred it with shrapnel. There were clear shrapnel holes in a number of the pieces of wreckage.
The Missile Strike
The Field that Was Completely Cleared the Next Day
Finally a day after the crash the Iranians had totally cleared all of the debris from the field, sanitizing evidence of their mistake, before any outside agency could inspect it. Modern military weapons shouldn’t be given to people who can’t control them. I grieve for the innocents, even the Iranians, who paid the ultimate price for their government’s callous disregard. I guess the death of 179 innocents is what it takes to get the Iranian government to calm down.
Speaking of callous disregard, I scoffed at what I was hearing from critics and went to see Cats last night. Big mistake. This is one of the rare occasions I completely agree with the critics. This was terrible. I guess the director thought the audience would be fooled by CGI into thinking these really were cats instead of actors/dancers in skin tight outfits. I found the effect a bit disturbing but I’m definitely not a cat person (ask my daughter). I am however a big fan of Andrew Lloyd Weber and was looking forward to seeing one of the few Weber productions I’d never seen before. The filmmakers got so caught up in the special effects that they short-sheeted the music. People love Cats for the music but there were long stretches where the words were muffled and completely unintelligible. Jennifer Hudson, one of few bright spots, sang the signature number, Memories, but when her awesome voice reached its high point it is completely drowned out by background music. Taylor Swift also acquits herself well but the rest of the cast should slink home in embarrassment. Luckily the heavy makeup will mask the younger actors from being recognized for the folly of this endeavor.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment