Monday, February 3, 2020

Sunday Supered


This was a strange Super Bowl Weekend. The Patriots were not involved. That seemed wrong on a very fundamental level but probably something I should start getting used to. The weekend got off to a rollicking start with my former Most Excellent Boss putting in an unscheduled appearance at First Friday celebrations. Reports out of New Jersey indicated that Wingman’s return also caused some FBR themed festivities there as she latched on to her dad after his return from his month long reunion tour.
FBR Got her Daddy Back!!!

And Quickly Exhausted Both of Them

First Friday with my Former Boss
I was scheduled to have Soxfather and Great Aunt up for dinner on Saturday but Great Aunt acquired some weird virus which prevented that. Left to my own devices, always a dangerous proposition, I spent the time accomplishing many of the usual Sunday chores, because well, Super Bowl (duh). My daughter was in the midst of a reunion of the fabulous Curbside Girls when their far flung sister from Texas blew into town. The Gen 2 Curbsiders were included in the festivities.
The Always Fabulous Curbsiders

Gen 2 Curbsiders

Together
The BRS was not taking calls this weekend. She refused to talk with my wife when she called from Panama and started out the same way with me. Granted she was involved in very important work rescuing water that would have gone down the kitchen sink drain if she hadn’t spread it around. In the midst of my attempts to coax the BRS into talking with me the FBR called on my cell phone. As soon as the BRS caught sight of the FBR she immediately became communicative; the magic of cousins.
The BRS Means Business

Upset at Lack of Snow
The Cantankerous One drove down from Keene on Sunday to watch the game with me. We went out to lunch at Brew City which had the waitresses their checking their calendars for my strange non-Friday appearance. The game was so much more fun this year having someone to share it with. He brought a picture of the YMCA swim team form the early 1960s that carried a lot of memories. We spent a long time trying to remember who everybody was. It’s so strange to think all of the people in the picture that are still alive are at least in their sixties now. Tempus Fugit, indeed.
The Swim Team, I'm Striking the Thinker Pose for some Unknown Reason
The game was highly entertaining and a couple calls from my Favorite Panamanian spiced things up. She was a huge fan of the Latina half time show and both Cantankerous and I agreed the Lopez/Shakira posteriors were certifiably super. My wife was a little upset that her old flame, Jimmy Garrapolo, failed to win. She knew nothing about football at the time but seeing his picture when the Patriots drafted him – well, ‘nuff said. As hard as it was I was rooting for Kansas City because I didn’t want the 49ers to join the Patriots as winners of six Super Bowls, petty, I know. Still, a great game,, all the better because I got to share it with one of oldest friends. The commercials were okay this year. Aquaman shedding his muscles and Bill Murray resurrecting Groundhog Day were the best.
Cantankerous Friend and I

Wife was Also Hanging with High School Friends this Weekend

The Weather is Definitively Warmer in Panama

I can See the Wheels Turning in her Head
Trying to Figure out how to Get This Plant Home

A New Restaurant She Discovered in Boquete
Reconnaissance is Never Complete
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment