Sunday, February 16, 2020

Deployment Day Minus 1


It’s been kind of a weird weekend. I’ve spent the past couple days preparing for the trip south. My Favorite Panamanian, because she just loves to pack, had prepacked a suitcase for me back in January before she departed. It was a carry-on sized suitcase. She assured me I had everything in there I would need. Since that time I’ve received several packages in the mail that she ordered that I was to bring with me. She also added a couple more items from home that she wanted deployed. That includes a call yesterday which had me at Macy’s trying to explain to the wildly colored haired Clinque lady what makeup I needed to buy that would get my wife through April.
Wife and Her Twin Sister Celebrating their Birthday Earlier This Week
The upshot being that not only will all this stuff not fit in the much larger suitcase I bought earlier but now I have two suitcases to deploy with. For the return trip I’ll be able to put one of the bags inside the other. I’m very excited to get on the plane tomorrow because of what will be awaiting me at the final stop. It’s weird that old married couples actually miss each other more after all these years. I was gone almost constantly during my military career but the separations were not as tough as these past few years when she flies south for the winter. In a very cool turn of events I’ll be hitting Panama a little later than usual this year and just in time to celebrate Carnivale which is epic party time.
Neither granddaughter wanted to speak with me yesterday which is a fairly new development. I almost get the idea that they have somehow conspired together to accomplish this. I put nothing out of possibility when it comes to cousins. The BRS goes as far as to angrily gesture towards the screen when she’s asked to say hello. The FBR is entirely more subtle. She simply stares at the screen and dares me to entertain her. As long as they still like me in person I’m not concerned. I have a plane to catch, a wife to hug, and some Atlas beer to address. The house sitters are in place. The next post will be in much warmer circumstances with a liberal amount of palm trees laced throughout the photos.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment