Monday, February 10, 2020

Biennial BRS & Oscar Night

My two favorite entertainment forces generously joined to pleasantly eradicate the weekend for me. My granddaughters obviously occupy first place by a large margin when it comes to entertainment. I am a bona fide movie nerd so when family isn’t available I can usually be found seeking solace in the cinema. For this weekend my granddaughter, the BRS, celebrated her second birthday in grand style on Saturday. Hollywood meanwhile held their annual self-congratulatory awards (any movie geek’s super bowl) - the Oscars, on Sunday. This was a complete weekend.
The Birthday Girl Between her Parents on Saturday
I set out Saturday to join my Favorite Son’s family to celebrate the BRS’ successful completion of her second year on earth. I hurriedly knocked out a bunch the usual Sunday chores Saturday morning before setting out. I arrived a couple hours before party time and enjoyed that time with my son and the increasingly pregnant ABFA as the BRS was still napping. Riggins was also present, at least physically. He’d awoken my son in the very early morning with some projectile vomiting in his bedroom. When that didn’t let up my son ended up in the doggie ER (I didn’t even know they had those) at 2am. After a bunch of expensive tests they proclaimed that Riggins had a sore stomach, but nothing serious. His owner’s investment in pet medical insurance sure made a lot of sense after this episode.
Our Christmas Present Got Some Use

Helping Grandpa Understand Technology
They decided to go low key with the birthday celebration with just grandparents, an aunt, and age appropriate cousin for the party. This was a great choice since it allowed for a much more measured celebration and we all got to enjoy the BRS as she flitted around. She also showed remarkable progress in gift opening, even in the short time from Christmas. She opened each of her gifts and then demanded the boxes be opened so she could play with each item.
Saturday Sleigh Ride
She flashed some of her abuela derived genes when it came to clothing though. She immediately started to put all of her new clothes on at once. Alright, she might get that from my annual Christmas performance. After she had the clothes on though, she took a very definite measure of herself, complete with extended leg pose. That’s right out of my Favorite Panamanian’s playbook. She received a cool sled form her other grandparents and immediately enlisted grandfathers to tow her around the ground floor to test it out. Riggins tried to help by lubricating the floor repeatedly ahead of us as his stomach distress continued.
Demonstrating her Technique
This was followed by a pizza dinner where the BRS displayed her chosen method of downing pizza. She turns the piece over and then starts eating it upside down. She’ll have to modify her technique if she ever wants to have toppings on it but she did extreme justice to the pizza. The birthday cake candles scared her a little bit but with parental assistance extinguishment took place. I had Facetimed my wife in from Panama and she got to sing Happy Birthday along with the rest of us. The birthday cake and ice cream were the most painful part of the day for me. I’m back ketoing hard to address the ramification of overindulgence during the Christmas cookie time period so I had to watch in pain.
Sunday Sleigh Ride

BRS Reigning
After the party ran down, the guests departed, and the BRS went to bed my son and I had a fantastic time watching a college basketball game and then a new Netflix show, Locke and Key. Horror shows are so much easier when I have my partner in crime next to me. Sunday morning saw a return to grandfather powered indoor sled rides. The BRS took a page out of the FBR’s book by declaring anything less than fifty repetitions would be unacceptable.
Go Faster Grandpa!
I regretfully returned home to complete the Sunday chores ahead of the Oscar show. I really enjoyed the show again this year without the distracting host. There was the usual political pandering but there were also some very funny and poignant moments. Why is that the people responsible for the shortest films give the longest speeches? One even had the temerity to close her speech with the international communist slogan, what a creep. 
I was happy with the acting awards although I cringed when Joaquin Phoenix started his speech out worrying about calves separated from their mothers. He got better though and finished with a quote from his dead brother – one of those poignant moments I was talking about. If Once Upon a Time in Hollywood wasn’t going to win Best Picture I was ecstatic that Parasite did. Especially since I got some rest from giving middle fingers to the screen while Jane Fonda was making the announcement. This quirky South Korean film won over even the self-involved culture of Hollywood which speaks volumes. In the night’s biggest upset I finally beat my daughter in the Oscar prediction game. She routinely trounces me each year but last night I edged her out by one, with 13 correct predictions. Probably why she didn’t take my call after the show finished.
My Winning Oscar Ballot

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment