Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Twinned Up

My "Twin" and I a Few years Ago
So today’s the ole day of my birth – a date lost in the distant mists of time. It also marks the only day of the year that both my sister and I are the same age, in terms of years – a day we always refer as “twin day”. I have it on very good authority that my arrival absolutely devastated her first birthday party. Thankfully over the years she has forgiven me my poor arrival timing. Birthdays are a little stranger as you get older – they certainly seem to roll around with a lot more alacrity than before. Mid-week birthdays are the worst because they restrict the amount of celebrating allowed – at least until I retire. I plan on assuaging that restriction in a serious manner on the approaching Saturday with my annual birthday pub crawl. If you are in Keene on Saturday afternoon please do not run over the gray haired crawlers. I’ve been receiving birthday messages from friends around the world in a variety of formats and if you’re reading this please know that I truly appreciate the thought.
The FBR Slept Through this One
I just polished off Lee Child’s latest jack Reacher novel, Midnight Line. This was a lot more like the Reachers of old where he’s not part of a multi-novel arc but a straight forward story of Jack’s wanderings and the subsequent justice he imposes on the unfortunate evil doers who cross his path. He runs across a West Point ring in a lonely pawn shop and is determined to trace it back to its owner to insure she is okay. This is bad news for the biker gangs and drug ring who don’t want to help. The story is set in CJ Box country in an isolated corner of Wyoming where the distances involved are an integral part of the story. The only problem, the same one I have with all Reacher novels, is that I read the damned thing too fast.
Date night last evening had my bride and I watching Daddy’s Home 2 because even semi-successful comedies get a retread these days. I enjoyed the first movie as Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg squared off as competing dad/stepdad. I have to give the filmmakers credit for at least changing the dynamic up by importing Mel Gibson and John Lithgow to play the older generation of fathers. There were some funny moments, mostly owned by Ferrell, as the blended family attempts a Christmas together. Gibson’s character comes across as a psychopath and completely unfunny so maybe he was typecast. The sledgehammer product placement of a major movie theater franchise did not help or make any sense. In the end it just wasn’t that funny and a little painful to sit through.

The Bad Cinema project count rises to #56 out of 100, with War of the Robots, yet another Italian sci fi flick about interstellar combat with the most boring battle ever staged.

No comments:

Post a Comment