Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Dreaded Day Before

One of the very best aspects to retiring from the military is realized today – the day before Thanksgiving. While in the Army, if I was within striking range, and that meant east of the Mississippi River, that meant I was driving home to spend Thanksgiving in New England. Of course, the day before Thanksgiving is widely and properly reviled as the worst day to be driving anywhere in the USA. While I hated the traffic and time it cost to make the drive – it was always worth it. There’s an almost genetic pull to return home at this time of year to celebrate everything to be thankful about, surrounded by family.
I cannot imagine anything finer than being around the people I will be over the next few days. My father’s family Thanksgiving celebration dates back to before I was born and yeah I realize that is a very long time. It’s evolved over the years and now takes place in Hancock, New Hampshire at the home of children of the oldest of my father’s siblings. It’s a circular and very appropriate location since it’s just a couple miles from the town of Antrim where my recent amateur geological investigations revealed our family’s deep roots within.
Despite my post-retirement freedom from holiday travel vagaries I’ll still be tortured today as my daughter and her co-pilot, the FBR, make the dreaded drive north to join us. This year’s Thanksgiving will be special because it will be the first in a few years that she’ll be joining us and the first, obviously, for the FBR. I’ve always said time spent with cousins is something special and I’m excited for the FBR to finally be exposed to the excellent extended family she was lucky enough to be born into. Wingman has to work late into tonight so he won’t be joining us until later tomorrow but in time for our second Thanksgiving celebration with Great Aunt and Soxfather.


The Bad Cinema project count rises to #60 out of 100, with Night Fright which certainly was in terms of quality and Slipstream which actually wasn’t that bad with Luke Skywalker and Private Hudson teaming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment