Friday, November 24, 2017

Cousinated

The FBR Reacting to All the New Family She Discovered
Yesterday was one of the days I look forward to most in the year – Thanksgiving. As my father’s family has been doing for longer than I’ve been alive the descendants gathered in Hancock, New Hampshire. The added bonus this year was an influx of a healthy percentage of the younger generations of the family – not the least of which was the FBR herself making her turkey day debut with the family. When her name was announced during family announcements she joined in the vigorous applause.
Wednesday Night Arrival - Love the T-Shirt

Back with her Abuela



And Grampa
Walking into the house saturated with cousins is akin to donning a well-worn and incredibly comfortable sweater – just warm and welcoming. The day always seems too short because I could spend a day with each of the many cousins gathered and it would still be too short. As it is the day is spent in micro-reunion conversations before moving on to the next. It can be dizzying but so, so rewarding. There was also the literal pack of pet dogs swirling around – something of a family trait.
Great Aunt and Soxfather

Silly Games with Soxfather

Looks Like she Bred True



With my Favorite Cousin
I spent some time with my favorite cousin learning some of the backstory of his epic route from the last bar of last week’s pub crawl to his hotel. After an initial bout of shyness the FBR fully embraced all of the “new family” she acquired when she walked through the door. She had one teaching her piano when she wasn’t charging off to remote corners of the home to explore – just so we’d come looking for her. She also developed a game with the assembled dogs. She’d utter a piercing scream and the dogs, outside the deck, would answer with some thunderous barking. I attribute this to her growing up surrounded by felines and not receiving a proper canine exposure. It was all too funny. She also spent a lot of time bonding with Soxfather and the Great Aunt. It was cool watching because I have very clear memories of her mother doing the exact same thing over thirty years ago.
FBR on the Photo Filter






Cousin Piano Lessons
I was really torn because I didn’t get to play in the family football game this year – I don’t know how many I have left in me. We had to leave early because we had to trek down to Providence to acquire the Wingman who took a train from New Jersey to join us for today’s second Thanksgiving celebration. I don’t think there’s anything less that could have extracted me early but he’s certainly worth it. I did get to pass out what my genealogical investigating had revealed about our shared ancestry which was fun.





By the time we were all back at the house, luckily in time before the FBR went down for the night so she could tell her daddy about her Thanksgiving adventure with her newly discovered family. Everyone was pretty gassed from charging around New England all day but my wife answered the siren call of shopping. The Neighborhood Mafioso and her daughter kidnapped my Favorite Panamanian just before midnight so they could hit a nearby mall when the doors opened. This is something I’ll never understand – she returned around 230am, at least I think she did. But onwards – today we acquire the only thing missing from yesterday -  the ABFA and Favorite Son – this should answer the age old question – is too much fun actually good for you. We will find out.
Reunion at the Train Station


I forget to mention that earlier this week I went to see Justice League and I loved it. I know it’s not getting a lot of love from the critics but this has everything you need from this type of popcorn action flick. Gal Gadot continues her luminescent turn as Wonder Woman and the movie takes off whenever she’s the focus. There’s a lot of subtle humor thrown in as the Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman make their debuts as well. The movie was fun for lack of a better term but as with anything that tries to achieve a dramatic arc while also introducing multiple story lines some things don’t work as well as possible. That doesn’t detract from the well-paced action and heroes you can care about and villains who needs vanquishing. Like I said – exactly what this type movie calls for.

The Bad Cinema project count remains at #60 out of 100, too much else going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment