Saturday, November 18, 2017

Quilted Surprise

Getting my Quilt on Last Night
I had a semi-normal celebration of First Friday under my belt when I returned home last evening. My Favorite Panamanian had joined us at Brew City so that made it an even more enjoyable time. I was safely back in the Man Cave awaiting her summons since we had a planned social evening down the street with the Neighborhood Mafioso. I then started receiving several phone calls from the Mafioso wondering where we were. Since it was only five minutes after the stated start time I was left wondering what the big hurry was. If she wanted my wife to be somewhere at 6 they should have told her the party started at 5:30.
The Other Vets and the Ladies Who Arranged the Quilts
We hurried down the street and found the Mafioso wanted us there so they could start the surprise ceremony she had set up for a group of veterans. She’s worked with a group that creates homemade quilts to welcome home veterans who’ve completed their military service. I was surprised and very touched when they called me up, draped the quilt around my shoulders, and said “Welcome Home and Thank You for Your Service”. I’ve said before that those words mean more to a true Soldier than any medal ever could and I found it hard to focus for a while – lots of dust in the air.


This simple but heartwarming ceremony was followed by dinner and a fun evening hanging out with these good friends. They’re the reason we ended up in this neighborhood and I couldn’t be happier with that eventuality. The quilt will occupy a place of honor in our house for the rest of my life. Now I’m done girding loins I’m heading north for my annual birthday pub crawl!

The Bad Cinema project count remains at #58 out of 100, better things to do last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment