Thursday, May 25, 2017

Splash and Snatched With a Heroine

Star(s) of the Day
Deckzilla Dude was in the house yesterday which made for an interesting lunch hour. A few weeks ago we purchased some LED lighting for under the kitchen cabinets. When I returned for lunch he had them installed but discovered they couldn’t be daisy chained together like we envisioned. We packed them back into their containers and headed to Home Depot where I found it incredibly easy to return them (one of my least favorite acts), kudos to Home Depot. We then bought some other lights that can be linked together as well as some additional tiles needed for the backsplash.
Backsplash Started
It made for a hurried lunch when I returned because I had a long scheduled doctor’s appointment right after lunch and most of my lunch hour was spent at Home Depot. Great Aunt will be pleased as I’ve had two doctor’s appointments within a week of each other, including a full physical (down in Panama), and all feedback was completely positive. I don’t know how my blood pressure continues to so low considering my lifestyle but I guess I’m a bona fide freak of nature.
Yoga Pose
In a huge twist of fate my Favorite Panamanian actually spent most of the afternoon out shopping. I know this will surprise long time readers of Frail Deeds but my wife actually likes to shop. (Yes – tongue firmly in cheek) She had her mother and uncle along for the ride yesterday and she called in after I returned from work to report her various and sundry location(s). I had just returned from another trip to Home Depot as Deckzilla Dude needed some more tiles and connecting wires. He devised a new arrangement for the tiles which looked great but without my spouse there to approve we were both a little nervous. Luckily her style attorney, the Neighborhood Mafioso, stopped by to chat and provided conditional approval. He finished off one half of the backsplash and it looks great. We had to move the kitchen TV up but that proved to be an even better location. Serious grouting will take place today.
Dad Needs a Hug
The Panamanian seniors insisted my wife and I pursue our usual Date Night at the movies when they eventually did return (shortly before the movie was scheduled to start). She caught the tail end of the FaceTime call with a certain young lady down in New Jersey. That young sprite was demonstrating her abilities on her newest toy, a keyboard complete with microphone. She is certainly genetically predisposed to the equipment and Wingman couldn’t help beaming a little as she plied her talents. Of course he was still trying to staunch the flow of blood stemming from his latest encounter with the low hanging light in his laundry room which I acquired several welts from as well during my recent visit.
So Dad - You Earned a Living with One of These Things!
The big news of the call though came from my daughter. She reported being called into her boss’ office yesterday afternoon and receiving an unexpected huge raise. Her boss also told her that she was an integral and critically important asset to their company and they didn’t want to risk losing her. This all occurred with a backdrop of some deep layoffs recently in the same company. I’m so proud of this fabulous young lady who balances being a superb mother, wife, and business woman. I’ve told both of my “kids” that hard work and effort will eventually be recognized, especially given today’s self-entitled millennial work force. She is definitely one of my heroes.

I took one for the team yesterday and went to see a chick flick my wife was dying to see – Snatched. The unfortunately named movie featured some high powered comedic talent that falls completely on their faces. Goldie Hawn used to light up the screen with her personality but she seemed to mail this one in. She plays mother to Amy Shumer in the lead role. I love Shumer’s stand-up comedy and as a movie actress she’s a great stand-up comedienne. Her whiny, self-involved take on the lead role grates and generates zero sympathy despite some fertile ground for same. Mother and daughter are kidnapped in South America and makes the slowest escape in cinematic history running into a series of characters along the way. There are some funny moments, especially whenever Joan Cusack is on the screen in non-speaking role – so funny. The movie could have used more of her and Wanda Sykes than it chose to. A bad movie, especially given the talent level invested. If you’ve seen the trailer – you’ve seen all the funniest parts.


No comments:

Post a Comment