Saturday, May 20, 2017

Farewell Night

The Table Last Night
Last night was our last in David for this visit. We fly down to Panama City this afternoon in preparation for returning to the US tomorrow. To celebrate this culminating nioght I took the entire family out for dinner. My wife made the choice which turned out to be a little suspect. During her last visit she’d gone with a friend to the Hotel Nacional in downtown David and they had a happy hour, live music along with great pizza. Since this sounded like a winning combination to me I signed up enthusiastically.
From the Other End
I didn’t care as long as I got hang out some more with my in laws – some of my favorite people in the world. We got a table outdoors but there was no live music which put my wife into a bit of a mood. I loved the time though as we watched a nighttime thunderstorm roll through and deposit tropical deluges barely out of our reach. There was the usual non-stop laughter and the obligatory Atlas beer. The meat lovers’ pizza contained mushrooms which I’m still trying to figure out.
At The Ice Cream Shop
We were not ready to give up the ghost after we overstayed our time at the hotel to wait out the storm. There was some truly awe inspiring static lightning displays. We ended up at La Michoacana which is a new ice cream/frozen yogurt franchise in Panama. They recently opened an outlet in a new shopping plaza just down the street from the hotel bar. They sell their wares on popsicle sticks and offer a huge variety of flavors. I was a little concerned as I made my way down the case exhibited the choices as I saw virtually every variety of tropical fruit invented displayed. I was about to give up when I saw one boasting Oreo Cookies! The night was saved.

We ended the night back out on the porch reminiscing about a week very well spent and about the future. My granddaughter played a serious role in that discussion as we posited how much she would enjoy time at the beach when out condo was completed. We had earlier FaceTimed with her and caught her attending a neighborhood barbecue. She was fascinated with a young baby and tried to share her water bottle with the baby before Wingman rode to the rescue. They posted the video below showing my granddaughter playing with a dog. I’m so glad that she’s getting this opportunity since she’s growing up in a den of cat lovers. Her genetic heritage concerning dogs however is evident. She loves dogs. I can’t wait to see her at the family Thanksgiving this year where the dogs sometimes outnumber the humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment