Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Condo-ed

Wife and I on our Condo Balcony
Yesterday was condo day, spent at our future condo. That could only take place after I successfully herded no less than five Panamanian women into a car for the drive to Las Lajas. This was not a feat for the faint of heart; cats would have been much easier. My mother in law, my sisters in law, as well as a niece accompanied us for the trip. The humongous highway construction project on the Inter-American highway is almost complete which made the drive down the Pacific coast to Las Lajas a lot easier. The entry road, the last two miles, is still gravel with some interesting spots but I like the isolation it provides from some of the weekend crowds.
Driving in

Front Hallway to Pool
We drove up to the project to find the architect, project manager and a couple other worthies from the construction firm waiting for us. We actually felt like VIPs. There was still a lot of finishing work going on, including wiring for cable and internet (YES!). Even though everything was coated in a film of construction dust it was easy to see the diamond lurking underneath. I almost ran up the stairs to our third floor condo and was extremely pleased.  It’s everything I hoped it would be.
Looking From Kitchen  Towards Living Room 
From Living Room Back Toward Kitchen, Entry and guest Bedroom

The living room opens onto the balcony with views of the beach and pool area. Since we have a corner unit one entire wall is glass offering further views along the coast. The area right next to the building is kind of sketchy as that is where the workers have been living but that will be cleared out soon. I love he master bedroom which also opens onto the balcony which will allow going to sleep listening to Las Lajas’ impressive surf.
Master Bedroom

Common Area

View of Beach from Balcony
They’ve just about completed the common area between the building and the surf line. The pools are done but were being drained yesterday of the accumulation of rainy season torrents. There is a common party area, bathrooms, outdoor showers, and shaded tables. They have removed the wilderness that existed between the pool area and the beach and left the palm trees while building a fire pit and a series of “bohios” to provide shaded areas for beach goers. Shade is very important in the tropics, trust me on this.
Seen from Beach Side

Third Floor
After our tour of the facility we planned on spending the day on the beach back at one of our former locations. When we mentioned this to the project manager he asked us why not just stay here and enjoy the beach there, after all it belonged to us. I kind of loved hearing that. I drove onto the beach and we set up a picnic area on the lawn. I also confirmed the waves on this section of Las Lajas beach are every bit as excellent for body surfing as earlier locations.
Getting Lathered Up

My Critic

Picnic Area We set Up
I mentioned earlier about the importance of shade. This gringo has a very healthy respect for the tropic sun, especially given its voracious appetite for my milk white skin. For that reason my wife provided NASA level sun block which had me looking like Betelgeuse again. My sister in law took particular pleasure in pointing out the weakness of my gringo complexion. Even this stalwart plan failed to completely protect me though. A couple hours standing in the surf waiting for the perfect wave cooked me to a beet red by the end of the day. Luckily it was one of those burns that morphs into a tan overnight for the most part.

Sisters Doing Yoga in the Surf 

Inaugural Use of Outdoor Showers

The Bohios

Fire Pit

I may have to rethink my plan about spending only six months down here after I retire. Visiting the condo was that exciting. We spent a lot of time talking about how much fun it was going to be having the whole family here, especially the First Blog Reader and any future cousins.
Future Body Surfing Student

On the Balcony

Wife Already Making Plans

Which was More Red at End of Day - the Shirt or My Face?

No comments:

Post a Comment