Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Covenant at Home and on Screen

From our Recent Visit to New Jersey
The house is decidedly less quiet with addition of two Panamanian senior citizens and the Wonder Pooch. I love it. Buddy is even behaving himself. I find it hard to ascribe learning any manners while down in Rhode Island. I think he’s just relaxing after having the energetic Remy at his side for the past week. I rewarded his newfound calm with a long overdue bath in the driveway. I enjoy having my mother in law and her brother in residence and not just because they distract certain other Panamanians from her usual supervisory focus on my activities.
Teaching Grampa Proper Shovel Technique
The Worcester drought is officially over and I can attest to some of the down river consequences. Last year I only had to mow the grass twice all summer after we bought the house around this time. I’ve already equaled that effort in the past two weeks. It can lead one to yearn for the arid times. My wife’s uncle was huge help by serving as extension cord wrangler for the electric mower. We also had Deckzilla Dude over for a visit last night. He starts on the last (hopefully) phase of the kitchen remodel today by installing under-cabinet lights and a backsplash. I’m told backsplashes are important.
"I Guess I'm Going to Have to Do This Myself"
Our guests had their first exposure to the glory that is the Man Cave last night as we watched both a Red Sox game and a movie. We watched the latest Xander Cage movie in Spanish. Vin Diesel’s acting ability does not improve in second languages but it was fun. The Panamanians were bundling up to confront the 65 degree temperatures in the Man Cave.

I’ve been jonesing very badly to see the latest Alien movie – Alien: Covenant, but it’s not the kind of movie I could trick my wife into seeing without serious secondary penalties. I snuck out last night to see a late showing and joined a very eclectic late night crowd at the theater. I really enjoyed the movie which picks up the plot line from Prometheus although it takes its sweet time getting to that. As with all Alien movies we have an unsuspecting space ship crew serving as the target rich environment for xenomorph consumption. The only plot hole (of the many present) that I found hard to take was the seeming incompetence of this crew entrusted with this deep space mission. Ridley Scott has his usual heroine in line to save the day, kind of. For the true geeks amongst us (guilty), this adds a lot to the Alien mythology as it takes place almost entirely on the Engineer planet the Prometheus survivors were headed towards. The movie felt like a transitional piece aimed at getting the audience towards a hopefully epic ultimate movie linking back to the original. That last sentence will not make sense to a casual viewer of this series. The ending twist was too easily forecast but there was the usual tension and body count. While I genuinely enjoyed it, the first two movies in the series (especially the second) are still the champs.
Loving her New Kitchen

That Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment