Sunday, May 7, 2017

Dumas Redundant and Garden State Wilderness

Out Back with My Supervisor
Okay, so the big surprise; in a plot straight out of Versailles two of the three musketeers were reunited in New Jersey. The Virginia Musquetera conspired with my daughter for a surprise visit to shock my wife. I was brought into the plot in order to distract my wife and pick up the surprise visitor at the Maplewood train station. We were texting all day and my wife asked me what what was going on. After saying it was my girlfriend and not being believed I said it was an issue at work I was trying to resolve.
The Moment my Wife Saw her Old Friend
We walked into the house for one of those great moments when two old friends were reunited for the first time in a couple years. The Virginia Musquetera wanted to meet our granddaughter whom she had heard so much about and to hang with her sister (in spirit). I was pretty much forgotten for the next few hours as non-stop Spanish ruled the airwaves for intensive catching up. She was only able to stay for a day but it was time well spent.
This Went on for a While
The rain finally stopped on Saturday and I was able to get out back to help Wingman in his efforts to carve an actual lawn out of an overgrown wilderness. He’d run into a series of huge roots from a now deceased and removed tree. He’d exposed the roots but had no way to remove them with the tools he had. I brought my trusty dull axe along and set to work. I think if I traced my blood lines far enough back I’d find some sort of Viking berserker because I love swinging an axe. I chopped the roots up and lifted them out.
Musquetera with First Blog Reader
I spent the rest of the day digging up the verdant weeds and wild flowers growing where they hope to have a lawn someday. It was obvious it had been a few years since any attention was paid to area but it shows a lot of promise. By the end of the day we had my wife, daughter, and granddaughter out there slaving away and had denuded the entire yard. There are now some hefty piles of debris to remove but that will be a little more manageable for Wingman in his narrow opportunities when granddaughter is down for afternoon naps.
Pointing Out Which Roots to remove
It was fairly exhausting but it was good to channel my latent berserker blood and do something for the new homeowners. It’ll be Home Depot today for some grass seed and grub treatment to hopefully have a lawn growing by end of summer. The best part of the day was time spent with the First Blog Reader though. She loves her new kitchen and already has a new technique where she pours a simulated cup of coffee and delivers it expecting rave reviews each time (no problem there).

Buddy Checking in from the Basement
Despite being raised in a den of cat lovers she also loves Buddy. The house cat sentenced himself to the upper floors upon Buddy’s arrival while Buddy is consigned to the basement. His penchant for kidnapping stuffed toys to eviscerate them dictated that restriction. He makes nearly constant pleas from the cat door for greater liberty (and access to aforementioned toys). The heavy rains brought a little flooding in the basement so I got to spend some quality with him and the shop vac to stay ahead of the tide. I’ll have several bumps on my head for the next few days from encounters with the low ceilings and light fixtures down there. 
Abuela Might be Having a Good time

Just Guessing



Great Way to End a Long Day

No comments:

Post a Comment